What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Update is Behind

RV12_AL

Just got my Dynon dual HDX system installed, so new to Dynon and Van's updates.
>Dynon has a new update to 16.6.01 11/02/2023 and Van's is 16.4.0 August 18, 2023.
>Van's states not to update past their update....Van's is now behind by 3 updates to the main HDX softeware.

IN FACT: The Van's file 16.4.0 for updating the main software will not work with the new Dynon HDX. My HDX would not recognize the file. I had to email Dynon and they sent me the right file and confirmed the new HDX will not recognize the Van's file. I did let Van's know.

So do you wait until Van's gets around to updating or what are RV-12 builders/owners doing about updating?

Wallace for what it’s worth I downloaded the current software update from the Dynon site onto a thumb drive. Plugged in the thumb drive to my port on the floor of the avionics bay and uploaded the new version into my HDX. All good, accepted, and shows as the current software.

This is how I’ve always done software and data base updates.

Wallace for what it’s worth I downloaded the current software update from the Dynon site onto a thumb drive. Plugged in the thumb drive to my port on the floor of the avionics bay and uploaded the new version into my HDX. All good, accepted, and shows as the current software.

This is how I’ve always done software and data base updates.

Thanks funflying.......
-So you're saying it doesn't matter what version software Van's is on?

-So all your old/current config files work with the new HDX version?

-What other files do you upload - only the HDX .dup or the full SkyView HDX 16.6.0 Software Package?

I did the entire software package including all the data base updates. And as I recall the prior software offered didn’t provide my system with updates I needed so I didn’t uploaded to my HDX. I was a little concerned if I skipped a software version that uploading the next update might not work. It all uploaded as normal, HDX on, avionics on, and AP on, and press load, then “are you sure” and off it goes.

Van's likely has that note as a "head's up" that they haven't tested anything newer than what they've posted... You're just charting new territory if you try it yourself.

Is it possible that the LSA/SLSA certification depends on running only software that Van supplies? Wouldn't apply to the ELSA people, but maybe the others?

Van's likely has that note as a "head's up" that they haven't tested anything newer than what they've posted... You're just charting new territory if you try it yourself.

Is it possible that the LSA/SLSA certification depends on running only software that Van supplies? Wouldn't apply to the ELSA people, but maybe the others?

Good point Snowflake

I'm trying to make sure the new 16.6.0 HDX system software works with all my current running/flying config files, which my current running config files are the current ones from Van's downloads 16.4.0 funflying confirms they work well.

I hope others on the forum can confirm........

>what HDX main system version are you on?
>what config files version are you on?

Need to use vans download

I don't remember where I saw it, but Van's statement was a little stronger that "we haven't tested it".
More like "don't use anything unless it comes from us".

That would mean that any SLSA anytime or ELSA before initial airworthiness cert can't use the Dynon loads until Van's integrates it into one of their downloads.

For EAB anytime or ELSA after cert - have at it, Note you should still evaluate the change to ensure that it you do not need to go back to phase 1, per your operating limitations.

I don't remember where I saw it, but Van's statement was a little stronger that "we haven't tested it".
More like "don't use anything unless it comes from us".

That would mean that any SLSA anytime or ELSA before initial airworthiness cert can't use the Dynon loads until Van's integrates it into one of their downloads.

For EAB anytime or ELSA after cert - have at it, Note you should still evaluate the change to ensure that it you do not need to go back to phase 1, per your operating limitations.

Fisherpd good point......but, how long do you wait on Van's?

It appears to be a silent topic.....know one will say what they are doing.

At least - funflying has confirmed the newest updates work.

Wallace
If you have not yet received the first airworthiness cert, the bureaucratic answer is you report the problem to Van's and wait. It's their issue (assuming they provided/approved the new HDX display that is incompatible with the software they provide)

If they don't provide updated SW, an e-mail from tech support indicating it is acceptable to use the updated software directly from the Dynon site should also work. (ask your DAR) I don't know if Van's would consider that or not.

Wallace
If you have not yet received the first airworthiness cert, the bureaucratic answer is you report the problem to Van's and wait. It's their issue (assuming they provided/approved the new HDX display that is incompatible with the software they provide)

If they don't provide updated SW, an e-mail from tech support indicating it is acceptable to use the updated software directly from the Dynon site should also work. (ask your DAR) I don't know if Van's would consider that or not.

Fisherpd my RV-12 is a 2010 and has been flying since 2010. I just did the full system upgrade - D180 to HDX dual screen. I'm just trying to figure out what other RV-12 owners are doing about their HDX system software.
My RV-12 is flying fine and the new Dynon system appears to be working well.
I just like the latest bug fixes and added features. I don't mind be (1) behind, but (3) system updates behind seems like we are forgotten.

If you’re serious about polling this subject, this platform has a formal polling tool. I think you’d have to start a new thread to create it, but know someone will chime in if I’m wrong about that.

As to your question though, after making the “mistake” of using the Van’s file for my first update a few years ago, I’ve always just used the Dynon file. I say “mistake” because unless you make ZERO modifications to your settings, the Van’s file replaces all settings. EMS screen additions/changes - gone. Autotrim adjustments - gone. CO monitor widget addition - gone. And the real surprise, fuel level calibration - gone!

You do need to be willing to manually update some setting changes Van’s makes with new releases. For example, back in 2021 they changed the fuel-pressure widget for the 12iS to eliminate yellow ranges that were there previously, and changed the takeoff AST position. So there are worthwhile improvements in the new Van’s files you should consider.

But getting things like AGL altitude and DESTINATION GALLONS on the fuel computer for me, for example, were worth trying them ahead of the Van’s sanctioned releases. Naturally, if you go this route, as with all upgrades, be prepared for the inevitable bugs that will pop up. All part of the EXPERIMENTAL experience.

If you’re serious about polling this subject, this platform has a formal polling tool. I think you’d have to start a new thread to create it, but know someone will chime in if I’m wrong about that.

As to your question though, after making the “mistake” of using the Van’s file for my first update a few years ago, I’ve always just used the Dynon file. I say “mistake” because unless you make ZERO modifications to your settings, the Van’s file replaces all settings. EMS screen additions/changes - gone. Autotrim adjustments - gone. CO monitor widget addition - gone. And the real surprise, fuel level calibration - gone!

You do need to be willing to manually update some setting changes Van’s makes with new releases. For example, back in 2021 they changed the fuel-pressure widget for the 12iS to eliminate yellow ranges that were there previously, and changed the takeoff AST position. So there are worthwhile improvements in the new Van’s files you should consider.

But getting things like AGL altitude and DESTINATION GALLONS on the fuel computer for me, for example, were worth trying them ahead of the Van’s sanctioned releases. Naturally, if you go this route, as with all upgrades, be prepared for the inevitable bugs that will pop up. All part of the EXPERIMENTAL experience.

Bob Y - great response! I'm understanding much more now with your reply!

>>>>Man, I would really hate to lose the "Fuel Cal" and others.......

So, what I'm finding
- you start off with all the Van's files.
- you then can update the main HDX .dup file from the Dynon site
- when Van's gets around to updating the config file, manually change your
configs to match the update or you will lose your calibration files.
- your calibration files live on - if you don't overwrite them

I didn't find in any docs that you will lose your calibration files and pilot adjustments. I'm glad to hear from someone that found out the hard way.

Dynon Version Updates

I downloaded and installed a version from Dynon last year and not the one from the Van's. It turned out to be a borderline nightmare. Several settings were messed up, even after I loaded the user settings back in. It took a few days, several phone calls and many frustrating hours (and bad words) before getting everything fixed and back to normal. I will resist doing it again and will wait as long as I can to download from the Van's site, hoping that they will test and post "their" tested and integrated version in a reasonable time frame.

I have the Dynon Touch. I use the Dynon files after they have been out for 2 months or so with no problems. I follow the Dynon forum for issues with the latest firmware before installing it.

This may have happened with one update interval, but it is not the norm and is not typical.
The updates are produced under a collaborative effort between vans and Dynon, and sometimes mistakes are made.
As can be seen from other posts in this thread, using exclusively, the Dynon update, has caused problems in the past as well

This may have happened with one update interval, but it is not the norm and is not typical.
The updates are produced under a collaborative effort between vans and Dynon, and sometimes mistakes are made.
As can be seen from other posts in this thread, using exclusively, the Dynon update, has caused problems in the past as well

Thanks, Scott, but I’d really appreciate a follow-up response on this topic…. This isn’t the first issue where folks have had diametrically-opposite experiences or held totally contrary perspectives/opinions, so please confirm what you’re saying.

Are you telling me that the specific items I’ve identified (EMS screen changes, CO monitor widget, autotrim configuration changes and fuel level calibration) should NOT have been wiped out or changed with the Van’s update? These are only a few examples of customizations that I (and I’m sure others) have made to my EMS screens. I’ve rescaled the fuel pressure and trim widgets too, for example, to give better resolution around the normal ranges.

The 24-page readme document focuses almost exclusively on loading everything from scratch vs. what to expect for updates, so, if you’re saying my experience was abnormal, more specific insights regarding what are (or aren't) supposed to change would be appreciated to set everyone straight

“Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice…”. :).

Are you telling me that the specific items I’ve identified (EMS screen changes, CO monitor widget, autotrim configuration changes and fuel level calibration) should NOT have been wiped out or changed with the Van’s update? .

Yes

An update has never been purposely released where all of those parameters would need to be manually reconfigured but it did happen a couple of times.

Having said that, always follow the instructions in the read me file that is part typically part of the update.
I think it typically includes instructions for saving a settings file to use just in case unforeseen things happen.

Last edited:
Update did fine

Just to update:
I updated to the latest Dynon 16.6.0 11/02/2023, downloaded off the Dynon website. I did (2) files the main 16.6.0 .dup file and the US Aviation / Obstacles.

I've done 2 flights and it's working great. One thing I noticed - a new Baro alert that's really helpful, so you don't forget to set the Baro.

I didn't update the Engine Sensor Definitions - still not sure on this one. I hope someone can give advice on this file?

I have the old D-180 system. After sending Dynon my pitch servo for repair I got it back with a software update that was past the Vans latest one. I had to send my D-180 to Dynon to have it "un locked" so that everything had the current software (roll servo), that was several years ago and all is fine. My aircraft is Experimental.

I have the old D-180 system. After sending Dynon my pitch servo for repair I got it back with a software update that was past the Vans latest one. I had to send my D-180 to Dynon to have it "un locked" so that everything had the current software (roll servo), that was several years ago and all is fine. My aircraft is Experimental.

bobg56 - thanks for input, but this thread is about updating the HDX units.

Back