What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Network Failure

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I got this message when beginning to configure my Skyview system today. Steps to figure it out:

1. Continuity good in D9 network cable from HDX1100 PFD to Network Hub
2. Confirmed all network D9 cables wired correctly and continuity good elsewhere in network
3. D9 network connection from HDX1100 PFD to ADAHRS confirmed correct
4. Switched monitors from left to right in case it was the D9 connection on the monitor itself. Same issue with both HDX1100's

My ADAHRS is not connected, though, since wings are disconnected. So one part of the network is open, ie, from the PFD to the ADAHRS. But, if this were the problem, wouldn't I get a message that Data Line 1 also was faulty?

Also, my Com-Panel doesn't show up on the list of avionics. It did earlier today, but now, it does not. Hmmm.

Any help appreciated. This has me flummoxed, so far.

SV-Configure Failure 9-30-23.jpg

Last edited:
I suggest to disconnect the comm panel from the network and re-run the config. If the error message disappears then that isolates the fault to that cable or component.
There should be a spare network test cable supplied by Dynon with the display. Use that cable next to test the comm panel.
What method did you use to test the continuity of the network cables?
The way to troubleshoot this is systematically, by adding one device at a time until the errant connection shows up, so as to isolate it. I suspect a connector pin is not properly seated or crimped, or one of the devices (comm panel?) has an internal fault.
The ADAHRS will not show as a network fault if it is not plugged in, but there will be a red X on the display to indicate that this necessary component is missing.

Last edited:
I suggest that you pull out the SV-network cable that's showing the fault, and test each of the pins for continuity. I made an oops with one home-brew cable I made, mixing up two pins which caused the Dynon gear to return an error. Looking at the photo, it actually tells you which pins are the problem ones, so perhaps start there.

FWIW, when I did some bench testing of my Dynon gear, I found the system to be very robust in that if it detected an error it didn't cause everything to fry itself, rather the screen politely told me what I had done wrong. As Paul mentioned above, swapping cables around etc or adding components one at a time helps to isolate the problem.

I suggest that you pull out the SV-network cable that's showing the fault, and test each of the pins for continuity. I made an oops with one home-brew cable I made, mixing up two pins which caused the Dynon gear to return an error. Looking at the photo, it actually tells you which pins are the problem ones, so perhaps start there.

FWIW, when I did some bench testing of my Dynon gear, I found the system to be very robust in that if it detected an error it didn't cause everything to fry itself, rather the screen politely told me what I had done wrong. As Paul mentioned above, swapping cables around etc or adding components one at a time helps to isolate the problem.

I checked continuity. All good. Mystery remains but I will take one unit out at a time until I find the issue.

I checked continuity. All good. Mystery remains but I will take one unit out at a time until I find the issue.

This is how I pinpointed the problem on my Garmin system can bus. I had many issues with getting my green check marks for communication. I removed every back shell and checked continuity on every can bus pin on every LRU back shell. No smoking gun found. I finally tracked down the miss wiring by removing each unit from the chain one at a time while booted up in config mode. When I pulled the GMA 245 audio panel, the red X marks changed to green check marks. I dissected the culprit back shell for a third time and using a lighted magnification head set from HF, after careful manipulation and twisting wiring and the pin block, I found that I had swapped the can bus HI/LO pin insertions.

Got It!

A welcome screen after much tedious unwiring.

Dynon Setup Fault Eliminated.jpg

Turns out I had misplaced one pin in the giant D50 plug coming from the right harness.

This is easier done than you might think. The pin numbering in the big 50 pin plug is easy to get confused. I put labels on the outside of the plug to indicate which pins are where. Hopefully, this is the end of this drama.

I'm glad you got it fixed!

It is strange that the error message pointed to a network cable when the fault was actually in the EFIS harness. I assume you mean 37 pins, not 50, I don't think there is a 50 pin connector for Skyview. Which signal was incorrectly wired, out of interest?

I find that even the smaller D-sub connectors are easy to mis-pin as the numbering can be difficult to see and counting across can be off by 1. Some errors on my part have slipped through even after buzzing every pin.

Last edited:
Back