What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX1100 Compass is Confused

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I calibrated my compass successfully. Pointed ship to the N, told the HDX it was going north, pointed it east, told the HDX it was going E, etc. for other two directions. System indicated the calibration was successful.

But, neither HDX indicates the correct direction on the screen when powered up, ie, the ship is pointing N but the screens indicate 263 degrees. I don't think there is that much magnetic deviation here in CO. :)

I have rebooted several times and get the same result. Can't find anywhere in the manual that indicates something needs to be done to get the compass working correctly.

doesn't sound right.. you can go back into the calibration page and it should show you what it's reading "raw" and see whether that makes sense.. but what you did to calibrate sounds right and should be sufficient...

Not saying you did this, but are the ADHARS modules mounted IAW page 5-7 of the install manual?

Sometimes they get mounted backwards.

Carl

I recently had a Dynon ADHARS failure and it was showing a 20deg roll to the left while the airplane was sitting still on the ground. The directional gyro was slewing left and right, generally unstable.

One diagnostic that Dynon recommended was to put the airplane in the wide open space and to make sure you get good GPS signals from as many GPS satellites as possible.

The gyro heading slewing went away with good GPS signals but the roll wasn't fixed.

The ADHARS was deemed non-ops and I had to pay for the Dynon remanufactured unit since the warranty ran out during the build. Contact Dynon for their recommendation.

Did you calibrate per the Skyview manual, i.e.:

"During the compass calibration, the aircraft’s configuration and major systems should be in a state that resembles flight conditions (i.e., the canopy should be closed, the aircraft’s pitch attitude matches SkyView’s attitude depiction, the engine should be running, and all electronic devices used in flight should be on)."

Some people have had issues with compass accuracy e.g. slider canopy open vs closed, for example, but it looks like your canopy is a tipper. In what location is your ADAHRS or compass module mounted?

Once ground calibration is complete it can be followed up with an inflight calibration.

Yeah, my wings aren’t even connected, yet. So, my ADAHRS position is marginal, at best. This is probably a non-issue until I get the hardware more robustly connected.

You can still do the magnetic compass calibration on the bench to verify it's working properly. Don't be like me who did all the final checkout and to find out things don't work out correctly after the warranty has expired. If you find issues, test it now so that you can get a new replacement while it's still under warranty. The ADHARS isn't cheap. It's like $1400 per unit.

Back