What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Backup Battery Test

wirejock

Well Known Member
I'm a little confused. Yea, I know. Short trip.

Dynon HDX wants a Backup Battery Test
I have two so the manual says shut off the second display and disconnect power by fliping off the Master. It doesn't specify what to do about the Avionics or AP switches.
Here's where it gets interesting...
AFS Tech support said pull the ground off the battery to test.
I tried it the first way and both passed (45 min), but I noticed the small panels were lit like they have power.
I plan to try the latter after the batteries recharge, but it doesn't seem realistic. In a real world failure, the ground isn't likely to disconnect. More likely an Alternator, ANL or Master Contactor will interrupt power. I suppose once the battery drops to zero, ground will drop as well but the connection will still be intact.
Am I missing something?
How did you perform the test?

Dynon test as follows
Test Procedure
1. Fully charge the SV-BAT-320 Backup Battery. Reference the Battery Charging section for battery charging instructions.
2. Turn off all other displays except for the one you are currently testing.
3. Disconnect primary power from the SkyView display—ensure that the display is not powered from another source.
4. During the 30 second power off countdown, press the TEST BAT button above button 8 (far right button).
5. The BATTERY TEST screen will appear displaying the status of the test. Note that while the test will last 60 minutes. If the SV-BAT-320 is able to power the system for at least 45 minutes, the battery passes this test.
6. To see the results of the test enter the SETUP MENU > LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP > BATTERY BACKUP (SV-BAT-320) STATUS>TEST RESULTS. Make sure the TEST RESULT says PASS.
7. The BATTERY TEST can be aborted by pressing the PWR OFF button.
Repeat the test procedure for each backup battery /display in the system.
This test discharges the backup battery. Recharging the battery after the test is recommended. Do this by applying primary power of >12.25 volts to your SkyView system. The backup battery is fully charged when its voltage reaches 12.25 volts.
If a tested battery does not pass the initial backup battery test, please contact Dynon Avionics Technical Support (contact information at the beginning of this manual) for further assistance.

Last edited:
Back