What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Backup Battery Issue

Zazoos

Well Known Member
I pulled my HDX screen out today to install the video adapter and noticed my backup battery was just sitting on my audio tray. Both mounting tabs were broken and it kind of appears that it may have got hot. The plane has 250 hours.
The battery case is cracked in a couple of different places.

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

This is from the Dynon installation manual (AM).
The SV-BAT-320 enclosure is made of plastic that may crack if too much torque is applied to the fasteners and the mounting tabs of the SV-BAT-320. The appropriate amount of torque that should be applied is a combination of the mounting base material, its thickness, the fastener, the presence or absence of thread lock compound on the fastener, and the tolerance stack up of the diameters of the mounting hole and the fastener. Apply sufficient torque that the fasteners will not self-release, but not so much that the mounting tabs will eventually break from too much stress.

The conclusion I make is that Dynon have made a bad decision using an enclosure made of plastic knowing the susceptibility to cracking and a
vibrating environment. The manual also lack of torque spec.

Good luck

Geeking out on failing surfaces

I am not saying one can do an Engineering Investigation through a set of photos on VAF, but the photos suggest to me to keep an open mind about how this broke.

It looked like the OP was considering case swell as a failure mode.

We can assume this plastic is more ductile in nature than brittle at cabin temperatures, since that is usually the nature of thermoplastics. Ductile materials can fail in both a ductile and a brittle manner depending on how fast the failure happens.

Generally things break in an event overload, or over time by tiny overloads that progress through the material that we call fatigue cracking. Fatigue based failures are a sort of hybrid in appearance as they look like they combine both brittle and ductile modes.

In breakages it is often valuable to determine if the shear zone looks like a brittle or a ductile failure, considering the material and the type of loading plane at failure. (shear or tension, not too many compressive failures out there) For failures of ductile material in tension (most common) we look for a 90 degree parting face across stress lines for a brittle failure and a 45 degree face for a ductile failure (a ductile failure acts to convert tension to shear).

Ductile failures are slow rises in stress (thus strain) above the material's ultimate strength. Brittle failures in ductile material tend to be very rapid events. Think about the difference between pulling apart a blind rivet mandrel and breaking a piece of metal with a fast hammer blow, or breaking some glass. (Check out your pulled mandrels on your less expensive blind rivets, they have a 45 degree shear plane along the lines of pulled tension unless the manufacturer spent the time to design a brittle break zone)

The failure zones immediately around those attach points in the OP photo may be showing some 45 degree failure planes. Then there are some obvious cracks in the plastic that look like brittle failures or fatigue with classic 90 degree failure planes.

So if somebody suggested case swelling in this failure I would totally agree with looking further into that possibility. If the cracks immediately around those attach points were closer to a 90 degree failure plane I would lean more toward fatigue cracks initiated by stress concentration points created by tight fasteners.

Last edited:
This may be related to the cracking issue. This is a brand new, just received, never used SV-Bat-320. The case is bulged enough that neither of the mounting tabs will sit flat. If the screws were installed as is it would induce stress into the tabs.

Attachments

• small (1).jpg
    small (1).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 52
  • small (2).jpg
    small (2).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 64
  • small (3).jpg
    small (3).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 61
I've seen this before with LiON batteries...swelling causing the case mounting to crack. I've also seen swollen LiON or LiPO batteries catch fire (race quads). It's bad juju. If the battery inside the case is indeed swollen to any degree, it means that you may very well have been dodging a substantial fire risk.

Back