What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AP Config

DYNON HOW TO!

Richard,
Step 1 Install your USB/Serial cable that came with your D180, Don't use the Windows driver disk that comes with the cable, go here http://dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software.html and down load the driver for your Version windows system from under the header, "USB-Serial Converter Drivers".

Step 2 Go here http://dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software.html and down load and install the "Dynon Product Support Program".

Step 3 Connect your computer to your D-180 through the provided serial port. Turn on the Master switch and the Avionics switch and the Auto Pilot switch. Open the "Dynon Product Support Program", Under "Choose Product" Tab Click on the down arrow and select, "FlightDEK-D180/Autopilot". Then go to the, "Choose Action"' Tab. Choose "Detect Firmware Version" then select Go.
Ok if everything works correctly you should be able see all your different pieces of hardware and what version software is installed each one.:)

John,
This morning (Sun) successfully upgraded Dynon in the RV12 to 5.4.3. Thank you for your guidance on that.
The disappointment is that I then started the Configure and Calibration routines and it was all as before...Reporting the "Servo not installed" message for both Roll and Pitch servos.
I wonder, where to now?
Richard

Question?

When you hit detect software durning software update did you see the servos? Next did you config the DSab again after software update? If so did you see servos? Sorry for all the questions, we have to go one step at a time and assume nothing.

Last edited:
Whilst in the Dynon Support software update I could see the servos. In fact after the upgrade the servos were both prefixed with DBAS, which I hoped would be promising.
After closing the update I went through the routine again from scratch , including the DSAB> Configure> Reconfigure routine and ended up with exactly the same messages as I reported in my last but one forum message.
John I appreciate your input.
I was thinking I might check out the separate disconnect switch , which has the red button, in the middle of the Rv12's cockpit??
Richard

Further Info

John,Since writing the email below I have been to the hangar this morning and checked out the Disconnect button supplied with the RV12 kit
From the circuit diagram it reads as if it is a double pole switch which makes two separate circuits when activated.
When the wires were disconnected from the switch I checked for continuity between poles when. In its normal state there was NO continuity between any of the terminals, which is what I would expect. However with the button pressed/activated ONLY ONE pair of wires would connect. For clarity, with a ohmmeter connected to wire/ pole 1 the remaining three (2,3 &4)wires were checked for continuity, this was repeated between wire 2 and wires 3 & 4 and finally between wires 3 & 4. ie checking every combination
Only one of these checks showed continuity.
Surely it should be making two circuits??
Could this be the source of my problem?
Richard

The Autopilot disconnect switch (WH-RV12-APDC) is a single pole, normally open switch. The other two terminals are for the Light. The ohmmeter readings sound correct to me. This switch is most likely not the problem, unless the wires are connected incorrectly.
When the other switches are illuminated, the APDC light should also be illuminated IF the NAV / STROBE switch is on. The EFIS supplies PWM negative voltage to illuminate the switches. Read about "External EMS Warning Light " configuration in the D-180 installation guide.
Joe Gores

Maybe a wiring problem, check them.

Richard, I believe one pair of wires on the disconnect button is for the red light in the button and the other pair was for the disconnect function. Joe if you are out there please feel free to chime in.(hes our local wiring expert here on the form)I went back and found another thread on the form which had a similar problem with the autopilot. Its not exactly like yours but it has some good ideas about trouble shooting the system. See this link, its a little hard to follow so take your time and go through it slowly.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=65837&highlight=Disconnect+button&page=2
In the end he had a bad servo and some wires in the wiring harness were in the wrong pins. It sounds like you may have either a wiring problem or a bad servo. So try to check the wiring per this link and each one of your wiring harnesses should have come with a steinair diagram. Check the WH-RV12-OPTIONAL (AP-74 D-SUB) and the WH-RV12-OPTIONAL
(MAIN D-SUB) cables to make sure they are wired correctly. Also here is a link to down load a after market wiring diagram that has the colors of each wire on it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?k59if2gmt818mnn
Just down load the file. Let us know what you come up with.:confused:

Yeah thats what I thought

Joe you and I must have ESP, Somethimes we post within minutes of each other.;)

Joe you and I must have ESP, Somethimes we post within minutes of each other.
Yeah, I had a feeling that my name was being typed, so I hurried up and clicked the "Submit Reply" button before you did. :D
Joe

Thank you John,Joe & Mike.
First off I have obviously been reading the RV12 Autopilot circuit diagram incorrectly as the switch symbol looks like both circuits are made when the button is pressed. But what yo say makes sense (of course)
Looks like I have quite a bit of digging/checking to do!
I will let you know what I find. Richard

Pleased to be able to report that my AP is now operational. The reason was that the two black wires to the Disconnect button were transposed.
The switch has four wires, white, red and two black!! Wonder why two black??
Interestingly the circuit diagram for Autopilot shows the disconnect switch as being a double pole switch, which it isn't. My first check on the disconnect switch, using this incorrect info, made me think the switch was faulty, hence lots of irrelevant questions from me.
Sorry, but thanks for your support guys.

Success!

Richard great job!:D. Avionics is an art form for sure. Some of those diagrams in the plans from the early days were incorrect and if you don't have the most up to date info from Vans web site it can be really confusing. Couple things to remember about the auto pilot for the RV12 only. If you set it up for a certain speed, say 110kts then you try to run slower, say 100kts then it wont work as well. I recommend in the beginning only adjusting sensitivity and leave the other variables alone. When adjusting sensitivity, only change +- 2 numbers at a time. You can adjust the sensitivity in the air while flying. Also if you adjust it at gross weight then you fly at a lighter weight you may have to make some slight changes to sensitivity. There is a known bug in the nav trac function where it will drop out of that mode occasionally. Plus or minus 5 degrees in the heading hold mode is ok. Plus or minus 50 feet in altitude hold mode is good to. When flying in continuous light chop all this changes again. Remember you are looking at these numbers digitally where as if you were looking a them on a round dial or analog then you would not notice the small changes as easily.;) The RV 12 is a very light airplane and susceptible to many different valuables in flight like, smooth or choppy air, the weight it is being flow, OAT, Density altitude, etc. These things will also impact the performance of the autopilot. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
John,That all sounds like good advice which I shall follow.
Here in the UK we have to have the Autopilot system test flown by an experienced pilot (Mike) and the result sent off to our LAA and have formal approval before we can fly it again.
I remember the first time I drove a car with Cruise control, it was in San Fransisco in the late 70`s,early 80's, and, when I first engaged it it felt as if I was no longer in control. Because of this I really was not looking forward to the test flying of the AP but it was an really positive experience and the test was satisfactory and we are now waiting for approval.
I was very impressed when Mike flew it parallel to a GPS route, in the opposite direction, and when the AP was engaged we just sat there while it established itself on the track in the correct direction. I reckon that is quite impressive for a little plane!
Now looking forward to learning how to get the best out of it.
Thanks for the support from all of you guys who got me there!

Back