What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon A/P Pitch Servo installation

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Relatively standard installation, I believe. However, I am finding that the AN3H-4A bolt that is installed through only one side of the bracket and screws directly into the servo housing is EXTREMELY close to contacting the rivet heads holding the bellcrank together. At one point in the install, pitch movement was limited to the arc between two adjacent rivets. I have added extra washers to ensure the bellcrank is pushed away from that bolt head, but I'm concerned.

Even though it will be safety wired, it would only take a tiny movement for that bolt head to interfere with pitch actuation. The clearance looks to be 1/16" after adding the extra washers.

Can this be right? Anyone else find this? Is there a remedy?

I think I installed AN426 flush rivets there instead of the AN470s called out. I'll look to confirm this when I go to the hangar tomorrow.

Yeah, looking back through notes, I took a pic showing how close the rivet shop head was to that bolt.

I drill those 2 rivets out and installed AN426s with the flush head towards the bolt on just those two.

Ahhh, flush heads. Good idea. FYI, I just got a reply from Dynon after I contacted them and sent them a photo of the slim clearance. (attached here)

Dynon suggested removing one or both washers beneath the bolt head and adding locktite to the safety wire to ensure clearance. Since I found the bellcrank to be a bit loose once in position, I added 3 extra washers on the bolt head side, again, for extra clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_1714.jpg
    IMG_1714.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 105
Back