What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DVD Flip up player in panel

Kanfly

I am wanting to install a flip up video player in my panel. Does anyone know of a problem with interference or heat problems if it was installed in the radio stack?

Use an ipod

Just a suggestion - since the DVD player will be for passengers, you could just give them each an ipod touch - watching movies on them works amazingly well, and then you won't have to upgrade your panel every 3 years when the technology changes.

Back when I was building, I had the idea of installing a flip-up DVD player in the right side of my panel but was warned by members of this board not to. The reason being that a car DVD player would impart noise into the audio circuit.

I never did install one and we just use my laptop or iPod.

If you do install one, put two of the LCD panels in the back of the headrests like the rice burners do.

Check out this link for details.

I believe Scott Schmidt has one in his plane-----

Scott, how about a bit of input here----

I have a DVD player, it's just not the flip up style, in my panel. Works great with no interference. I have it running through my panel mounted intercom so it mutes with radio traffic and the audio fades back in.

Flip Up DVD

I have really enjoyed our DVD. I have screens in the back seats that work very well in the sun. The DVD on the panel is not quite as good but I would do it again. As for interference, when I turn the DVD on it actually removes some interference that appears to be caused by the Grand Rapids. The only noise I have right now in my system appears to come from the alternator and I have talked to B&C last week and ordered some insulators for my headphone plugs. They think that should fix it.

418808270_EpGR2-L.jpg

I can control my iPhone/iPod with my DVD player. It is a touch screen that makes it easy to navigate the playlists.
During the day we typically will not watch a movie with all the great scenery.
Hope that helps.

Nice!

Beautiful panel, Scott! You sure did a great job of fitting a lot of stuff into limited space.

Back