What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dummy Engine???

I have an IO-360 M1B on order through Vans/Lycoming. I'm at a place in my build that if I had an engine, I could mount the cowl, as most other things are complete. I can't be the only person who has run into this issue. I've searched the threads, but curious if there are "non-functional" dummy engines that get passed around the community for this purpose? Thanks to all and apologies if this is well-trodden ground and I missed it.

Tom Tipton over in Missouri got a junk engine from Texas air salvage to do what you described.

He's flying now so I don't know if he still has it or how you'd get it shipped, but it doesn't hurt to check. I don't think he's on here, but he has a Facebook account so you might reach him thru that. If that doesn't work out, you could do the same thing he did. I don't know what he paid for it, but I don't think it was very much. I think he drove to Dallas to pick it up rathe than pay shipping but I might be mis-remembering that

On one of my builds, I used a run out crankcase and crankshaft bolted up to get cowl/spinner fitted while waiting on my engine. Worked fine. Ended up selling it to another builder and he had me ship across country.

If anyone is looking for a 540 engine to use as a dummy it does not exist. I have called every salvage yard and engine shop I could and nothing. Texas Air Salvage told me I was looking for something that does not exist anymore. I'm sure the 360 is probably more available than the 540. Good luck. I just want my Thunderbolt! This is getting out of hand. Over 6 months and not one engine that I know of has gone out to a Vans customer and no information on when to expect it and with the new contract I signed I have no idea on how much more it will cost me. This is third world business dealings we are having to put up with now.

Some 0 320 cases are the same as 0 360 parallel valve. Case and a crank will give a big head start for cowl, baffles etc.

I have a dummy 540- non serviceable case/crank/jugs that could possibly be used for mock up.
Ross & I used it to mock up the various SDS EI/EFI brackets in his packages.
Problem is it would be expensive to ship from Calgary, Alberta… & I won’t be home till April…

It would be great if someone could come up with a 3D printed dummy engine kit that we can print/assemble like lego!

Another way would be to fabricate and weld a pyramid shaped tube frame that exactly matches the dimensions of the engine mount and prop flange position. It would take a bit of effort and expertise but could be done. This would allow the cowl to be fitted but for the rest of the FWF installation it obviously needs an engine and for the baffles I think it may need to be the engine because there can be minor differences between case mouldings and mounting holes.

I might have a lead on a 360 wide deck case and crank. Will hear back in a couple of days and forward info on availability if there is one floating around in my area of operations.

My engine guy is also hurting for parts now, and has extended lead times for his rebuilds due to residual supply chain issues. The 540 cases might be unobtanium still. He says he is seeing people slapping things on experimental today that last year would have been considered scrap or airboat quality at best, out of desperation.

I have an IO-360 M1B on order through Vans/Lycoming. I'm at a place in my build that if I had an engine, I could mount the cowl, as most other things are complete. I can't be the only person who has run into this issue. I've searched the threads, but curious if there are "non-functional" dummy engines that get passed around the community for this purpose? Thanks to all and apologies if this is well-trodden ground and I missed it.
I have a red tag 360 case and crank used just for this purpose. PM me if you are interested.

It would be great if someone could come up with a 3D printed dummy engine kit that we can print/assemble like lego!
I am in the exact same spot, and asked he same question several months ago for a IO-390 engine for my -14A. It would be great if we had a styrofoam mock-up block like the car guys have. They have metal inserts molded in for accessories, mounting ears, etc. Easy to move around and ship due to light weight. Easy to use and pass along to the next builder. Maybe one of the aftermarket RV suppliers could step up with a solution...

I’ve got an O-360 case/crank that I got from DIVCO/ASSI in Tulsa. Now, of course, I’m building a Rocket so it doesn;t do me a lot of good - but at least I already have the IO-540 on hand, so I don’t need a mock-up! The 360 combo is available to borrow, but shipping back and forth is definitely not cheap….

I’ve got an O-360 case/crank that I got from DIVCO/ASSI in Tulsa. Now, of course, I’m building a Rocket so it doesn;t do me a lot of good - but at least I already have the IO-540 on hand, so I don’t need a mock-up! The 360 combo is available to borrow, but shipping back and forth is definitely not cheap….
Try the airboat guys in Florida and Louisana---

Tom

I have a complete wide deck dummy engine that I used for my build. Has parallel valve cylinders and a vertical induction sump. Time to sell, It’s in S. Louisiana. Make offer. Don B

Last edited:
Back