What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual USB Panel Connectors

Peter M

I’m planning to install dual Dynon HDX displays in my Vans RV-6.

I’d like to panel mount a USB connector for each display to ease updating, etc.

Dynon sell a “USB Port Panel Mount” (p/n 103066-012) which has a single connector. I’d like one fitting with two USB connectors to keep the panel tidy. Has anyone found such a component?

There’s lots of dual USB panel connectors on Aircraft Spruce but they invariably are for charging. I don’t want that. I simply want to extend the USB connector of each HDX onto the panel and terminate them on one connector.

There are quite a few listings on eBay if you search for "dual usb extension panel mount". In fact the Skyview install manual suggests to search for generic usb panel extension in lieu of their part number. Maybe one of these could be what you're looking for? I'm also installing Skyview but will probably just use a normal cable extension that is tucked away behind the panel when it is not being used.

I used something very similar, and at least in ground testing it seems to work fine.

I actually had one of those for each display, but since the system can only read one USB stick at a time I am thinking I'll remove one of those adapters and use the space for my ELT remote panel. Wifi dongle will go on the back of the display or on the port in the display harness.

The duel Dynon setup does need separate usb sockets if you want to use the Seattle charts and want to display them on both displays. One socket works if only using Dynon nav data and software updates as the displays will sync that data

Back