What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual AF3400 in RV-8 panel?

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for your post. I emailed my address to you.
I'm not exactly 100% certain my AFS cutouts are the right size; the ruler says yes, but ePanel builder says no!:p
Cheers,

Since we're on the topic of what will work in an -8...

My dream panel in my RV-8, granted I'm no where near the point to actually put this together, but it's fun to dream right! Anyways:

? AF3500EF 8.5? PFD (Center)
? AF3400EM 6.5? MFD (Right/Top)
? GTX 330 Transponder (Right/Bottom)
? GMA 340 Audio Panel (Left/Top)
? GNS 430 COM/NAV/GPS (Left/ 2nd Top)
? SL 30 #2 COM/NAV (Left/2nd Bottom)
? AP 100 Autopilot (Left/Bottom)
? 2 ?? Mag Compass ? Lighted (Top/Right)
? 2 ?? #2 NAV CDI ? Lighted (Top/Left)
? 2 ?? Airspeed ? Lighted (Bottom/Center Left)
? 2 ?? AI (Electric) ? Lighted (Bottom/Center Center)
? 2 ?? Altitude ? Lighted (Bottom/Center Right)

My intent is for this to be an IFR X-C machine with the ability to have some fun in between. My idea is to have a back-up battery for the PFD/MFD in case the ship battery/alternator goes T.U. Then a stand-by battery for the backup instruments (I guess really the AI) and the #2 COMM when the backup battery for the PFD goes T.U. I'm looking at a pretty bad scenario for this to happen, but I think being able to keep the wings level for a hour should get me somewhere close to an airport I can land at.

The most important question, though, is will it all fit? I downloaded a panel drawing program and it all fits in there; but will it all actually fit in the real airplane?

Sure, I'm at least 5-6 years away from this question needing to be answered, but like I said I'm in my strategic planning phase and thinking of all the possibilities!

Questions for Dynonsupport

I am considering a dual Dynon setup....with the HS34 MODULE....Do I need dual magnetometers...or can both theD180 and the D100 both utilize a single wing mounted magnetometer?...also...can both units use a single backup battery?.....thirdly.... would the HSI also function with a Bendix King KX-155 Nav/Com??......many thanks...stan ...RV8....fuse....

Questions for Dynonsupport

I am considering a dual Dynon setup....with the HS34 MODULE....Do I need dual magnetometers...or can both theD180 and the D100 both utilize a single wing mounted magnetometer?...also...can both units utilize a single backup battery?.....thirdly.... would the HSI also function with a Bendix King KX-155 Nav/Com??......many thanks...stan ...RV8....fuse....

Stan,
The D180 and D100 can share a magnetometer, but if the D100 or D180 fails, you might lose the magnetometer on the other instrument too. Since the magnetometer is included in the D100 and D180 price, it is best to install both. They can be installed on top of one another if you like.

You cannot share backup batteries. They are inside the units and only power the local unit.

The HS34 will not work with the KX-155 Nav/Com without an external VOR/LOC converter. The KX-155 wasn't designed to be hooked to an HSI so it lacks some of the circuitry inside that is required.

The KX-165 will wire up to the HS34 with no other modules.

Back