What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling out solid rivet tails

RVFan671

Well Known Member
I've gotten pretty good drilling out rivets the standard way of going through the head, popping it off and then grabbing onto the tail and pulling it out. Now I have some solid rivets (-4's) that I only have access to the tails and can't get to the back side where the head is. What is the process others have used to get these out, safely. I'll be putting in cherry max as a replacement.

Just me

If the tails are fairly flat, I guess the center of the hole, center punch,drill with #50 until there is enough depth to keep a 1/8 inch from wandering, but not deeper than the skin. then i drill out 1/8 until just about to touch skin. stop and use a 1/8" punch to break off tail. Once tail is broken off, then true hole position can be seen and a new center punch can be used to move the hole over as needed to drill thru rivet below skin. This drill thru rivet can be #50; it purpose is to relieve tension on rivet holding it in the hole. JMHO. YMMV

Practice practice

I use an automatic center punch with a blunted tip (reduced diameter for the -3 rivets) to push out after popping off the head. Care is to be taken and not push too hard or else a back up tool to surround the tail is needed. Sometimes it is easy to bend the last layer.

All this works on short rivets, longer ones I will use a drill a couple of sizes smaller to relieve some of the compressive stress holding it in the hole.

Do not drill through the rivet or there is nothing to push on, and take care to ensure the hole is not enlarged. Proceed with inspection and care on the difficult ones.

Back