What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doubler needed?

AAflyer

Well Known Member
Do the simple, short post antenna really need a doubler? I'm thinking a big fat washer should do the trick.
Comments?:confused:

Last edited:
If it were me, I would make the doubler in less than 5 minutes and be done with it and forget it.

I researched this a bit during my build and went with a doubler under every antenna.

I would

Think also about someone bumping into it while under the plane. Doubler could save the skin from creasing at the edge of the Ant.

If you mount it close to a supporting structure, like between floor ribs, you should be able to do away with the doubler.

I've got two whip antennas under my seats that have no doublers. IIRC, I used the same setup on my 1st 7 and flew about 500 hours with no issues prior to selling it.

Why add the weight if the ribs provide a solid base for the skin on which the antenna mounts?

Think also about someone bumping into it while under the plane. Doubler could save the skin from creasing at the edge of the Ant.

+1 this is the final reason I used a doubler. 30 year life is a long time for exposure to potential hazards like this.

If you mount it close to a supporting structure, like between floor ribs, you should be able to do away with the doubler.

I've got two whip antennas under my seats that have no doublers. IIRC, I used the same setup on my 1st 7 and flew about 500 hours with no issues prior to selling it.

Why add the weight if the ribs provide a solid base for the skin on which the antenna mounts?

Because the weight of the doubler will be less than that of a repair. I doubt a doubler would weigh more than a ounce.

Back