What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

double dimple

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
I was using my pneumatic squeezer to dimple and I slipped and got this. I think my best course of action is to drill two holes with appropriate edge distance, one on each side of the bad hole. These are mated to the outboard of the wing spar, so I would need to countersink those two new holes in the spar flange. I would also put a rivet in the spar so that the original hole would be filled. I already overdrilled the extra hole and cleaned it up so that it won't crack.

My question is could I just rivet the good hole and fill the bad hole with body fill? I think not because of edge distances.

d7eXJFk3x9mBNuCnJOnD0PZPzrupjhO18fUN1o3q3EDbzDX4QY-w3RQSkMRkKiMQK5Q37QgFfOYVMUB_RiP9wVkiU4eoxpLpF2ZA6JXVIgHGEZCe9IF6IR2AGeg1eO_J8TbM0LqXVWHitS5EcDcs5w6nMwclkW9OeRAcuxxbZrhfIOHdtHmpkpzGI170uptaEyv_xEO7F3ZgL66fZC00U34tJhqm4ZTDMbrhDb4N0dEWeP2abjidcKpP2gB5z4voF__ycAMZzcWnZ2t4-KeANrtYoi0HQ9n5xaj94-Yj7tAiAlzhPhvzB43l4T8mfz62C_9d2mHgIBiNFEqOL09YEm1rntzrZO3tBs8_eHr2XLtiGEVj36F5Uaf2tuBx-Hmgw_qEA8eL4ZvHl3e3klfe1RIsc7F5syAhtQH69EulsVXiOagRLGQuPQ9WFXWMVgCjoSD5xnUZe9RdocpcOmJcOPyBeoWfLPR9GKzNXeZkOgaS2zqNf-zaP_TnJ6I-oF9zVRPv-hol-dRmmX0S3FRqeQnLQB-nXdH-jSHSq0_eM_gxMV4zKUA22wdR_Bqd_J3OaYjOmJ38AS8KfhWD4efopbSr5I0QMGkjh9ytfYyfXWzRVvKHZJRky1--73wODPVFRayillOk70R8OGGkMq6hQBsa7jWACnxCm9F1IV2T-4Sgyn1sUjl7oCWIJ2TE_2ygL_nSscLVqjmyi7O3xg=w900-no

You can call Van?s but I believe the answer will be two new holes half way between the good holes on both sides. Been there done that!

Inspection

When i did this, the extra hole had a crack after I flatten the dimple. I ended up enlarging the hole to get rid of the radial crack. I am expecting the extra hole will be filled by the paint shop.

Interesting..... we are at the exact same step in the plans. I am dimpling the wing skins tomorrow. What is your kit S/N?

Interesting..... we are at the exact same step in the plans. I am dimpling the wing skins tomorrow. What is your kit S/N?

I'm 266. Just getting back into it after a home remodel, didn't work on it from March to September this year because I was busy with that. Can't really complain there! I'm at section 17-06. I'm a slow builder, our family is always doing something.

Back