What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Documenting SBs incorporated during construction; SB-00036

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I've already incorporated a couple of service bulletins during the course of construction (18-09-17 and 16-03-28) and will soon be doing another (00043). As I recall, I noted the compliance and the time involved on the page closest to the related construction in the manual. If I didn't do so, I plan to add a note to the first page of that particular section and maybe a short note on page 01 of Section 1. Is that overkill or is there a better way to make note of compliance? Should there be a note in the logbook?

Also, regarding SB-00036 for the RV-14, is there still nothing but inspecting the HS rear spar during the condition inspection?

I print out the SB, sign and date when completed. Sometimes SBs are non applicable to a specific build-----document that also.

I have a tab in my build binder for SBs, and file them there when done.

Other tabs ----electrical system, avionics, prop, engine, etc.

Last edited:
Since it’s an EAB you may do anything you like, including nothing. However my recommendation - in addition to the notes in the construction logs - would be to buy the standard Airframe/Engine/Prop logbooks, and start recording them there, too. In the future that’s where everyone will look.

Just note that “compliance” doesn’t mean any physical parts or processes were necessarily done. It may have been an inspection to comply. I note compliance by inspection in my CI check list. I note compliance by physical installation in the Airframe Log, and then each year it is noted as “complied” in the check list.
Subtle I know, but if I installed a fix, I document it in detail in the Logs, not just a note “complied” as that may not mean anything was installed or modified.

Logbook

Not sure why people are still enamoured with the traditional logbooks. Yes, I have them…BUT…I think it is far better to document maintenance electronically. It is FAR more legible and easy to search and organize rather than writing shorthand scribbles and abbreviations in a traditional book.

Yes, I keep a printed binder as well because I know someone will say, “what if the computer crashes” or “you lose your flash drive”.

To each, his own but the only thing I put in the traditional logbook is the CI inspection sticker and the PS check stickers.

Not sure why people are still enamoured with the traditional logbooks. Yes, I have them…BUT…I think it is far better to document maintenance electronically. It is FAR more legible and easy to search and organize rather than writing shorthand scribbles and abbreviations in a traditional book.

Yes, I keep a printed binder as well because I know someone will say, “what if the computer crashes” or “you lose your flash drive”.

To each, his own but the only thing I put in the traditional logbook is the CI inspection sticker and the PS check stickers.

Agree. I plan to only document the important stuff in the airplane log books.
Everything else is detailed ad nauseum in my builder blog (below). Hard copy is kept current. If anyone wants to review, they will be bored to death for days.

I'm climbing on my soap box now!
I don't trust drives of any kind. I had one fail. Thankfully a friend ran a recovery and saved the data. Ever since, I keep three backups.
Primary SSD lives with the computer
Network Backup is on the router
Recovery Backup is in the fire safe
I periodically replace drives as well.
Did I mention, I don't trust drives?
Everything is duplicated to to backup drives.

A flood and a fire some years back inspired me to scan everything. Also ripped all the video to Blue Ray and backed that up too. Every music CD rupped as high res Flac. 6000+ songs. All the family photo archive is scanned as high res TIFF files. I have my Father-in-law's b&w WW2 photos. Full tour as a waist gunner on B-17 out of the Pacific theater. Some pretty neat photos.

How many of you have a big box of whatever in the basement? Photos, files, video tapes, etc? Ever wonder what happens to that in a natural disaster? Airplane stuff is important, but what about all that family stuff?

I have a sheet of paper that lists all the SBs, the method and date of compliance.

Anyone asks, it's a summary of every SB that applies to my plane

DAR

The gentleman that inspected my airplane wanted to see SBs entered in the logbook. I did not feel it was worth arguing about. So I made one entry that said to the effect that all SB from date XX/XX/XX and earlier were completed during build process. For the recurring SBs with annual inspections were completed and due on the next CI.

It took about 10 minutes to log. Should I decide to sell my plane its in the logbook for the purchaser to see.

Back