What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do piston rings rotate?

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Trying not to clutter someone else’s thread.

Maybe I was taught wrong a long time ago. I always thought that piston rings were supposed to rotate, continually over time during operation. This is stated in a lot of text books but none were specific to GA PPs. If they didn’t, it could lead to problems. Made sense to me.

In another thread, somone’s jug had a badly fouled lower plug and oil visible via bore scope. No direct evidence of stuck rings and i believe a flush was performed. The culprit was determined to be ring gap alignment.

So the usual arguments; oil ring versus compression ring duties, related effects manifesting in compression tests versus oil consumption, etc being acknowledged. Will a jug removal with ring reclocking have a real long term effect? Of course the “repair” action could remedy a different culprit as a consequence.

Get me smarter. Anybody?

Last edited:
I understand it the same as you. I recall in my two-stroke motocross days we had pins in the ring groove to keep the rings from rotating since they would hang up on the ports. Four-stroke piston rings should rotate.

Back