What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Lift reserve indicator using Garmin gap 26 pitot with Dwyer differential pressure gauge?

rvmv

Was wondering if I could simply tap into my existing AOA pitot for the pressure inputs to a Dwyer gauge and end up with a functioning lift reserve indicator. Thanks

On a somewhat related level, I have my Lift Reserve Indicator and the Dynon AOA both plumbed into the Lift Reserve probe. They both function very nicely.

On a somewhat related level, I have my Lift Reserve Indicator and the Dynon AOA both plumbed into the Lift Reserve probe. They both function very nicely.
Same with mine on my GRT AOA function since I don’t have an AOA pitot tube. Both the LRI and the EFIS AOA work well this way.

Whats the advantage of having both AOA and LR indicators ?

I don't know if it is an advantage but each system has a distinct form of indication. The LRI is an analog gauge with a needle that indicates in different colors on the scale and the digital indicators are usually multicolor chevrons. I installed the LRI over twenty years ago, it is my primary indicator for takeoff and landing plus it is not dependent on electrical power. When AOA was added to the Dynon feature set quite a few years ago, I tee'ed it into the LRI lines so the chevron would function. However, the Dynon D10A indicator is very small, not nearly as visible as the LRI. But.....the Dynon has an audible alarm so I continue to use both systems simultaneously, the visual indication of the LRI and the audible alarm from the Dynon.

I didn't plan on using two AOA systems, it just worked out that way.

Back