What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

din port for charging

[email protected]

Well Known Member
i have been planing for a direct battery connection service port and ended up modifying a din power connector that i had for my motorcycle that i was not using. i am using this port in the plane to provide for a charging port through a battery buss that i will be mounting at the sub-panel. one of the nice things about these ports (also known as powerlet, bmw, or john deer ports) is that they have a strong positive engagement and are rated for higher current applications than traditional cigarette outlets.

here i tested the connection, battery and charger.
img3684db.jpg

img3683p.jpg

before i closed the floor pan i put in some snap bushings and a pull wire in case i ended up mounting anything behind the flap actuator cover. this is a great place for an unswitched power outlet, it will be easy to reach from the canopy to hook up the battery charger, a small tire air pump, small portable heater, ect... i also have a nice heated vest that i use on the motorcycle that i can plug in here.

the finished product
img3687al.jpg

img3688j.jpg

My experience with the stick-on wire tie anchors is not good, especially when they are used on a surface that will experience large temperature differences. You may want to consider an Adel clamp on the lower AN3 bolt holding the flap actuator bearing block, just a suggestion.

odyssey charger

i am using an odyssey charger that is rated to provide continuous duty for the pc680. the end is a standard sae plug that is both male and female... these plug ends allow small pigtail connections (or long extensions) with any type of termination. the charger comes with alligator clips along with another standard style end (not cigarette though); i wired on a powerlet end to a pigtail.

img3922w.jpg

thanks allen, here the wires are pretty well restrained without the tie and will not be able to foul anything but it is good advice on the stick-on wire tie anchors, they defiantly have some limitations... i may end up dabbing a bit of proseal on the ones that i end up keeping (after cleaning off the sticky) or i may just replace them when they fail.

I clean the sticky off the anchors rough them a little and use shoo goo. It's a little easier to remove them if necessary later. Haven't had any come loose.

Back