What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deutsch DT pins/sockets AFM8 positioner

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I searched all through the DMC manuals, but couldn't find it, so it might not exist....is there a positioner for the AFM8 crimper that works on Deutsch DT size pins and sockets?

I borrowed a friend's Deutsch crimper, and it works, but I prefer the AFM8, if possible. I have the K1S (IIRC) for the DTM size.

TIA!

The only positioner I found is the K330-3. It says it is for Deutsch DT pins but doesn't say much beyond that. Good luck.

Paul

I struggled finding something for my AFM8 that would work with the Deutsch pins.... I got the MIL-SPEC # for the pins I was looking for and found lots of conflicting information, K43 or K1S listed as compatible both on a couple generic sites. Received the K1S, but no dice. I'd be interested if something was available before picking up the specific Deutsch crimper. I'm using stamped right now, but the barrel crimp/pins would be much nicer.

I struggled finding something for my AFM8 that would work with the Deutsch pins.... I got the MIL-SPEC # for the pins I was looking for and found lots of conflicting information, K43 or K1S listed as compatible both on a couple generic sites. Received the K1S, but no dice. I'd be interested if something was available before picking up the specific Deutsch crimper. I'm using stamped right now, but the barrel crimp/pins would be much nicer.

For DTM pins, yes.

I guess the problem is that the AFM8 is only spec'd for wires up to 20 AWG, and the DT series takes 14-18 AWG. C'est la vie. :)

I've had success with a K1S positioner in an AFM8 to crimp machined DTM pins. I've been using the JReady ones sold on Amazon, which seem like a good-quality knockoff of the expensive name-brand ones.

For DTM pins, yes.

I guess the problem is that the AFM8 is only spec'd for wires up to 20 AWG, and the DT series takes 14-18 AWG. C'est la vie. :)

I got a good deal on an AF8 frame with a TH1A turret, which I am somewhat convinced is the right setup for the larger DT pins... however I ended up not using any DT connectors, so I haven't been able to confirm if that's true.

I use the universal adjustable positioner for all DT and DTM pins. Works great, just adjust the depth so the base of the pin/socket is flush with the entry hole. Never had a bad crimp with it. It takes 1 or two pins to figure it out, but pretty simple after that.

I use the universal adjustable positioner for all DT and DTM pins. Works great, just adjust the depth so the base of the pin/socket is flush with the entry hole. Never had a bad crimp with it. It takes 1 or two pins to figure it out, but pretty simple after that.
In the AFM8 for both? I saw that universal positioner and was thinking of getting it.

What I don't want to have to do at this point is to buy an AF8 and turret for this ONE connector style and size :).

FWIW, the AFM8 does a great job on all the myriad pins and sockets (and I've got a boatload of positioners, some came with it, some I bought, but I'm covered except for *this one* LOL!)

I got a good deal on an AF8 frame with a TH1A turret, which I am somewhat convinced is the right setup for the larger DT pins... however I ended up not using any DT connectors, so I haven't been able to confirm if that's true.
I have an DMC AF8 with the TH1A turret, and it does very well on the DT and the DTP pins, as well as the DTMs. I stumbled across JRReady during covid when I couldn't get connectors, positioners or crimpers so bought a sampling of knockoffs. I have been pleased with everything I've gotten from them (connectors, positioner and tools), much more so than any of the other myriad of other knockoff options on Amazon. Haven't tried their AF8, but if I were doing it again I'd take a chance on it since the DMC one is a lot of money for the 50 or so pins I used it on.

Ah, yes, DTM is what I had on my brain. I'll give it a go again. To be honest it was a friend/coworker who borrowed my AFM8 and verified that the K1S wasn't going to work on the DTM pins, so I'll personally give it a shot. Happy with the JR Ready DTM connectors, just would move over to barrel style.

Ah, yes, DTM is what I had on my brain. I'll give it a go again. To be honest it was a friend/coworker who borrowed my AFM8 and verified that the K1S wasn't going to work on the DTM pins, so I'll personally give it a shot. Happy with the JR Ready DTM connectors, just would move over to barrel style.
Ummmm...the K1S is what is specified per the DMC Tooling Guide for DTM pins.

It won't work for DT connectors. (I know it works for DTMs, that's what I've used...).

???

In the AFM8 for both? I saw that universal positioner and was thinking of getting it.

What I don't want to have to do at this point is to buy an AF8 and turret for this ONE connector style and size :).

FWIW, the AFM8 does a great job on all the myriad pins and sockets (and I've got a boatload of positioners, some came with it, some I bought, but I'm covered except for *this one* LOL!)
Yep, used for both DTM and DT. Works very well, just adjust the crimper number for the wire guage.

For DT/DTM pins and sockets, TE Application Specification 114-151004 shows the following for the MH860 crimper:
M22520/7-02 (86-1S) for size 20
M22520/7-03 (86-2) for size 16
The TE spec says to use use SEL.4 for 24 AWG (I used it on my trim motor wires).
I bought the MH860 since it could do size 16 contacts also.
This page has the same info: https://racespeconline.com/products/dmc-mh860-positioners

For the AFM8 crimper, https://racespeconline.com/collections/dmc/products/dmc-positioners recommends:
M22520/2-02 (K1S) for size 20

Last edited:
Back