What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Details of the AOPA-EAA petition (Drivers License Medical)

This part of the SP limitations is totally bogus. I can fly to 17,9999ft (higher, if I get a ATC window) on my Commercial-Glider certificate with no medical requirements whatsoever, other than to self-certify that I am fit to complete the flight at PIC. So why are SPs limited to 10k MSL? Oh, yeah, oxygen and hypoxia training aren't included in the SP written exam. Dumb....

TODR

Even given the no O2 training bit, I'm surprised they didn't just make the limit 12,500, same as the O2 requirement.

This part of the SP limitations is totally bogus. I can fly to 17,9999ft (higher, if I get a ATC window) on my Commercial-Glider certificate with no medical requirements whatsoever, other than to self-certify that I am fit to complete the flight at PIC. So why are SPs limited to 10k MSL? Oh, yeah, oxygen and hypoxia training aren't included in the SP written exam. Dumb....
TODR

That part of the reg has been changed. Sport pilot can now fly up to 10,000' MSL or 2,000' AGL, whichever is greater.

Last edited:
I see the issue of LSA being seperate and distinct from the issue of a 'drivers license medical'. The fact that both PP and SP may end up that way in some format is good but its not apples to apples.

I beleive that we should be able to have a drivers license/self-regulating medical as long as we're not flying commerical/for hire operations (perhaps throw in complex aircraft as well). To think that this type of change would kill off LSA doesn't compute if you look at the current market.

Take Sonex for example. The Sonex series doesn't even come close to LSA max weight limits and yet the plans and kits seem to sell well. Many of them use the Jabiru 3300 as well as those that use the VW based engines. [Van's of course for obvious reasons is at the top of the kit heap.] There's also Fisher aircraft which has a strong business and offers many affordable aircraft. Then there's Zenith...my point is there are many designs which have been around longer than LSA and competing nicely. A new or used 172 is not going to in the same market just because of the medical.

What makes the LSA market viable is the affordablity factor both in flying and maintenance. If you have a product that can compete in its market then there should be no problem.

Bob

Back