What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Density Altitude take-off chart for RV14

jimkwalton

I have not been able to find if anyone has posted a take-off chart for IO-390 RV-14 that takes into account Density Altitude. I know many people here say no one will take responsibility for for such a chart, I understand that but if Vans or anyone has one, I am interested since I plan to fly to Leadville this summer and would be curious to take-off performance for my plane.

I've flown in and out of Leadville, Telluride, Aspen and many other high altitude Colorado airports in my -14A summer and winter alike. It's no problem for the 14 with the 390. No, I don't have any takeoff performance charts and never even thought to make one up.

But a wise technique in mountain flying is to just climb over the departure airport to your cruise altitude and then head out from there. If you aren't happy with the performance, the runway is right below.

Bill Marvel

I have not been able to find if anyone has posted a take-off chart for IO-390 RV-14 that takes into account Density Altitude. I know many people here say no one will take responsibility for for such a chart, I understand that but if Vans or anyone has one, I am interested since I plan to fly to Leadville this summer and would be curious to take-off performance for my plane.
In my IO-390 RV14 I have taken off a number of times in high density altitude conditions. For example, on the way to Air Venture just a few years ago. On one leg I departed Las Vegas at 113 F, and then later that day in Utah and Montana at higher altitudes and temps in the low 90's. The climb performance was definitely compromised - I don't recall what it was exactly, but acceleration was slower, T/O roll was noticeably longer, as was the climb rate. Normally, with just me and half fuel, I'm getting about 2000'/min ROC initially (in standard conditions). I would say I was getting about half of that. Still not terrible, but nothing like I was used to getting. I only mention this as even though the RV14 performance is still 'good' in these conditions - its not what you may be used to normally. I'd definitively factor this in to my thinking about whether I'm going to clear an obstacle (like a mountain ridge or treeline). Lastly, managing Oil and CHTs in these conditions is also an added challenge. Don't expect to do a long sustained climb (even at the reduced ROC) without temperature limit alarm bells going off. Per the other fellow's suggestion - probably a good idea to find room for a slow climb, even if it means carving circles somewhere.

Flying in and out of Leadville is such unique experience; I highly recommend it. If you're new to or even remotely rusty wrt mountain flying, I recommend the videos that COPA put out from their seminar on mountain flying. I live in Colorado and still review these on a semi-regular basis.

COPA Part 1
COPA Part 2

Another great resource are the Weather cameras that FAA has installed in many of the critical passes in Colorado.

FAA- Weathercams

Back