What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data Base Subscription Transferability

RV7ator

Well Known Member
Is the data on an SD card for a GTN650 usable only by that particular serial number GTN?

Sometime during the duration of my annual data base subscription for my GTN, I'll be moving into the next RV-7 build that has a GTN650xi. I highly suspect Garmin requires registration of individual GTNs, and you must choose which when downloading to the SD card. Another way of asking: will Garmin allow a subscription to be transferred, or is it linked forever to a specific GTN when first purchased? Sell the airplane and forfeit the subscription balance?

So much easier to ask the brain trust than sift through Garmin's fields of haystacks for a needle that may not exist.

John Siebold

Is the data on an SD card for a GTN650 usable only by that particular serial number GTN?

Sometime during the duration of my annual data base subscription for my GTN, I'll be moving into the next RV-7 build that has a GTN650xi. I highly suspect Garmin requires registration of individual GTNs, and you must choose which when downloading to the SD card. Another way of asking: will Garmin allow a subscription to be transferred, or is it linked forever to a specific GTN when first purchased? Sell the airplane and forfeit the subscription balance?

So much easier to ask the brain trust than sift through Garmin's fields of haystacks for a needle that may not exist.

John Siebold

The subscription is tied to the specific System ID. You can transfer System IDs mid-subscription.

Back