What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D-sub pins and sockets

wirejock

Well Known Member
Where do you guys buy d-sub pins and sockets?
They are kinda pricey. Steinair seems the best price but shipping kills for something that takes up no space and weighs nothing.

Last edited:
SteinAir

SteinAir
Bag of 25 pins or sockets is $15
Problem is one bag of each total is $30 but shipping is $12.
Seems really expensive for something smaller and lighter than a credit card.
B&C $40 (50 pins), $59 (50 sockets) + $15.51 shipping
Digikey, Newark & Mouser are all about the same.
Digikey has the cheapest shipping.
I found the same parts
Sockets $15.28 (25)
Pins $12.24 (25)
Shipping is flat rate $6 Fed Ex, UPS or $4 USPS
Sorry SteinAir.

Yeah I don’t understand the high shipping charges for a small light item that fits in a small padded envelope, but it is what it is. Pins are expensive no matter where you source them. Maybe a phone call to Steinair might get you a reasonable shipping charge? I have been steering away more and more from Steinair because of this. I needed both a single d-sub 9 and 15 pin housings in male and female. I ended up buying them on Amazon and got box lots of 12 each and was still ahead of the game with Amazon Prime free shipping.

I find that if you buy say a $12,000 IFR navigator or a new G3x touch, the pins and small stuff ships for free :)

SteinAir

I contacted SteinAir about the shipping thing. Apparently someone complained about USPS so they were dropped from the choices. Something about lost shipments and three week delivery time. So it's yall's fault. :D
They will probably adjust things if you call.
I'm kinda dissappointed.

This will make you feel better.
The minimum cost to ship a packet of 25 pins from Steinair to Australia is $232.87 plus $15 for the pins! There're also more expensive shipping options e.g. $356.30 for Fedex.

Shipping

The minimum cost to ship a packet of 25 pins from Steinair to Australia is $232.87 plus $15 for the pins! There're also more expensive shipping options e.g. $356.30 for Fedex.

Yeow! How do you do it? Maybe find options "in country"?

au.element14.com
DSUB Crimp Pins and Sockets starting from 38c each AUD depending on spec.
Free delivery over AUD 50
In Sydney its same day delivery if ordered before midday!
Hard to beat that...

Last edited:
SteinAir
Bag of 25 pins or sockets is $15
Problem is one bag of each total is $30 but shipping is $12.
Seems really expensive for something smaller and lighter than a credit card.
B&C $40 (50 pins), $59 (50 sockets) + $15.51 shipping
Digikey, Newark & Mouser are all about the same.
Digikey has the cheapest shipping.
I found the same parts
Sockets $15.28 (25)
Pins $12.24 (25)
Shipping is flat rate $6 Fed Ex, UPS or $4 USPS
Sorry SteinAir.

Thank you so much

Yeow! How do you do it? Maybe find options "in country"?

Grin and bear it, mostly! :D

Spruce has better shipping rates generally, e.g. from $16 using USPS (takes 2 months to get here) or UPS from around $50 (takes about 1-2 weeks) for small orders.

Some US suppliers are out of reach, unfortunately, because of expensive shipping rates.
There's not too many options in-country because most airplane gear is imported anyway and the market here is smaller.

Normally I try to plan ahead and order a bunch of parts together to "save" on shipping.

Amazon

AMP brand 100 pack female for $80, male for $40, free shipping.

Where do you guys buy d-sub pins and sockets?
They are kinda pricey. Steinair seems the best price but shipping kills for something that takes up no space and weighs nothing.

I used Digikey for most of my electrical component purchases (minus wire). They're comparable to Mouser etc. but IMHO their search engine is a little easier to use.

Back