What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cylinder Temperature Raisers RV-7 with IO 360 M1B

Has anyone completed a 7 or 7a with an IO 360 M1B, and would like to share their experiences as to whether or not they needs cylinder temperature raiser baffles on cylinders #1 and #2?

It seems that determining there need as stated in the instructions "by flight test" may be appropriate for the initial Vans prototype, but I'm sure that most aircraft manufacturers do not employ this mode of engineering and construction on production aircraft.

I saw the Vans prototype at Sun N Fun. It appeared to be a carbuerated parrallel valve Lycoming. It did not have a cylinder temperature raiser baffle on cylinder #1 and a very small one on #2.

Obviously these baffles would be far easier to install during initial baffle construction then going back and dissasembling baffles and drilling out rivets to facilitate their installation. Please share your experiences with these baffles and photos if you have them

I can't help with the size of the baffles for your engine, but this is what I did on my 0-320. I started with no riser baffles but soon realized I needed one on #1. I used a piece of Vans cowl heat shield stuck to the fins and lapping down about 1/2" on to the baffle in front of the cylinder. The heat shield can be easily cut down/added to/removed/replaced to get the desired cylinder temp. After initial break-in the cylinder ran a bit cooler and I was easily able to add a bit more heat shield material. My plan was to replace with a solid fixed riser when I had determined the correct size with the heat shield, however 150 hours later the heat shield is doing the job just fine so I will leave it there permanently.:cool:

Fin
9A Flying

Last edited:
As a datapoint. The newer Vans BAF360 baffle kit does have the riser baffle built into it. I'm not flying yet, so can't give any other data. Superior IO360 horizontal induction.

On my 7A with a IO-360M1 I installed a 1" high baffle on both front cylinders. I also placed a strip on the fins of the cylinder barrel. I used stainless steel tape (J.C. Whitney). All cylinder head temps are within 10F of each other in climb and cruise. Whitout baffles the front ones were 30F cooler. The strips stayed on for 300hrs so far. I also use the ss tape to cover 2/3 of my oil cooler during the winter month in Texas to keep the oil temp above 170F.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

Back