What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Customs clearance

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Hello All
Does anyone know if there are exemptions for clearing customs at other ariports other then the registered ones. I'm pretty sure if you are on floats they will come out to special locations and do the clearance. I would like to cross into the US with Bushwheels and don't like the idea of all the hard surface damage to my wheels. I'm thinking that perhaps somewhere such as Lubec Me. (grass strip) next to a highway border crossing might be possible?
I know call BPS, will do on Monday but just looking for a heads up.
Thanks Ron

My sister is a Customs Inspector here in mid Michigan and she just sat here and read your question. Her answer is that you should call the port several days in advance for the area you want to enter and run your request through them to see if they will accommodate you. They most likely WILL NOT honor your request if your aircraft is equipped with wheels and you will need to fly to the airport they serve. They may be able to accommodate you in ME, but it would not happen here in MI.

...and check Canada Customs for the return!

Ron, perhaps you have a solid return plan, but our general experience 'out west' is that the response from CBS varies wildly, even to who is on shift.
One group thinks it's 'neat' to do a run out somewhere for a special request, the others won't leave the building unless it's on fire.

CUSTOMS CLEARANCE

Hello everyone

For anyone planning to cross the border from either side, you should seriously consider FlashPass to ease out the hurdles with the AEpis process.

https://www.flashpass.net/

It is free to try for a month ( Arturo Guerrera, will extend it for 3 months if requested )and it makes the AEpis process a snap..

Give it a try, I tried it both ways on my way to and from Oshkosh and it is really nice..

By the way, I've got no financial interest in this compagny,just passing on good info..

Ron, if you don't have CanPass Air yet, you should get it, it will open up a whole bunch of Port of entry airport for you.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/009-eng.html

Cheers

Bruno

Your better bet is to ask the tower if you can land in the grass at the larger paved airport.

Back