What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cushion plans?

rvaus

I'm New Here
Hi,

I'm currently hiring an RV6a ... great fun, being tall, 6' 4" I'm hitting the canopy even with the "thinnest" cushion ... last time I flew I took all the padding out and flew on the metal, great no longer hit my head, but the other end gets sore!

I want to make a cushion myself, smallest, thinnest rubber possible ... can anyone tell me where I can get a set of plans for the cushions in a rv6a so I can make some myself?

Thanks, rvaus

The Van's standard foam comes with a 1" (+/-) booster cushion foam. Not sure it would really provide much cushioning as it's not very dense (i.e. the foam might compress and your butt would still be hitting the floor pretty hard). I'd be happy to send a copy of that part of the pattern I got with my -7A (I think it should be the same) foam from Van's. You could also talk to Abbey at Flightline Interiors and see what she would charge to make you a cushion. She does great work and may have just the solution for your problem. Send me a PM if you want the pattern.

foam

I recently made seat cushions for a Sonex airplane. Their cushions are 2" thick and the common wisdom among the sonex pilots is that the blue conforfoam is the best for their seats. It is pretty dense, but hopefully will give good support even if you only get the one inch thickness. I purchased the foam from http://www.seatfoam.com/.
Carol Syracuse

Hi,

I'm currently hiring an RV6a ... great fun, being tall, 6' 4" I'm hitting the canopy even with the "thinnest" cushion ... last time I flew I took all the padding out and flew on the metal, great no longer hit my head, but the other end gets sore!

I want to make a cushion myself, smallest, thinnest rubber possible ... can anyone tell me where I can get a set of plans for the cushions in a rv6a so I can make some myself?

Thanks, rvaus

Not sure if they have this in OZ, but were I you I would get a piece of the green and toss it in the bottom of the seat. It will do just fine with no upholstery for a while.

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=7805/index.html

Tony

Hi,

Thanks, rvaus

Craig, You may want to do a search for "Confor foam" as it is the most comfortable and safest foam to use that I know of. It absorbs positive G's enough to prevent back injury that would happen with other foams. Abby at Flight Line interiors can make the cushions. She uses Confor Foam. Worth checking out as the $ is probably not a lot more than a DIY project and they will fit the 6 perfectly.
I am 6'4" also and do not hit the canopy (Clairty Aloft HS helps) but I didn't using a Bose either. I think the Confor Foam seats I have help. They are about 2" thick and I never am uncomfortable. Best of luck. George

Back