What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Criteria for re-use of spark plugs

recapen

Well Known Member
I just replace the 8 plugs in my 6A IO360B1F6 (180hp) with new UREM37BY units - like originally installed.
The plugs have a larger spark gap after the run-time and a number of them have the plating flaking off.

Yes, I have installed new - is there any criteria regarding the exterior plating? I know I can blast them clean and regap...but if the plating is a factor....

I just replace the 8 plugs in my 6A IO360B1F6 (180hp) with new UREM37BY units - like originally installed.
The plugs have a larger spark gap after the run-time and a number of them have the plating flaking off.

Yes, I have installed new - is there any criteria regarding the exterior plating? I know I can blast them clean and regap...but if the plating is a factor....
Only the old Unison / now Tempest plugs are plated. The Champion version has PAINT on them and they will rust.

The flaking plating is just a cosmetic defect. As long as there the resistance is <5K ohms, I would keep using them.

The plugs can be closed up to have the proper gap. There are inexpensive spark plug gap closing tools available. They were not a lot of money when I purchase mine a few decades ago.

Only the old Unison / now Tempest plugs are plated. The Champion version has PAINT on them and they will rust.

The flaking plating is just a cosmetic defect. As long as there the resistance is <5K ohms, I would keep using them.

The plugs can be closed up to have the proper gap. There are inexpensive spark plug gap closing tools available. They were not a lot of money when I purchase mine a few decades ago.
Thanks Gary - I have the gap-setting tools.... I will measure the resistance first though!

Back