What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CPL Checkride in a Tandem RV?

YellowPeril

Well Known Member
Hy All,

Anyone out there ever have a DPE give a CPL checkride in a tandem RV?

I want to know if I need to practice the maneuvers in my -8, or borrow another a/c.

I know it took some time to find a DPE to do a check ride in my 9A. Im guessing it may be even harder to get it done from the back seat. You would probably have to have a tandem RV owner as a DPE. Is there one?

I am scheduled for Friday - depending on weather! Good luck finding one.

May depend on what engine and flight controls you have in the backseat of your -8. Also, if there are no instruments in the backseat, the DPE may not be able to verify that you meet the performance requirements of some of the maneuvers.

Per 14 CFR 61.45:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-61/subpart-A/section-61.45

"(c) Required controls. Except for lighter-than-air aircraft, and a glider without an engine, an aircraft used for a practical test must have engine power controls and flight controls that are easily reached and operable in a conventional manner by both pilots, unless the Examiner determines that the practical test can be conducted safely in the aircraft without the controls easily reached by the Examiner.

(e) Aircraft with single controls. A practical test may be conducted in an aircraft having a single set of controls, provided the:

(1) Examiner agrees to conduct the test;
(2) Test does not involve a demonstration of instrument skills; and
(3) Proficiency of the applicant can be observed by an examiner who is in a position to observe the applicant."​

Last edited:
Yes it has been done many times but most will require instruments and full controls in the back seat. I never met a DPE that would agree to anything less.

Back