What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling Hinge Replacement

MWH265

Well Known Member
Question for the builders/maintainers,

The left side cowling hinge on my RV6A has somehow become all out of whack and is impossible to replace the pin without 2 people and takes a lot of manipulation to get it in place. I can easily run the pin through both the lower and upper half by themselves, but when together it is nearly impossible.

Is there a way or trick to realign the eyes of the hinge or should I just replace it? I tried sliding the pin in and tweaking each eyelet and it hung up but that just doesn't seem to be working. Should I replace with quarter turn fasteners? Trying for minimal down time.

Thanks,
Mike

Is it just really tight, or is the pin catching on the eyes?

For really tight, get some scrap pin, flatten one end a bit and run it though with a drill to clean up the holes.

For catching, taper and polish the tip.

The pin is catching the eyes, pretty severely. The pin does have a tapered/sharpened tip. I stuck it in my thumb several times.....LOL

Inspect all hinge loops carefully.
Sometimes the can get squeezed slightly or bent out of alignment when they get hit by something.

I find that a nice de-greasing wipe down of the pins and a fresh coat of dry lube silicon spray on the pins makes install hassle free. If I skip this step a couple times it becomes a PITA to get the pins into place.

Also check to see if you have anything under the cowl that is putting pressure against it causing a misalignment of the hinges.

Pin tip/chisel cut

On my -4 I have all my pins cut to a chisel tip (1/8"-3/16" over the taper or so), this offsets the "point" and allows you to rotate it during insertion and keep the tip in the center of the eyes rather than trying to come out between them. I also have a slight curve in pins. I use a lubricant stick called "door ease" that looks like a big chapstick made of parafin wax. No mess and just a light cleaning and drag across the stick before reinstall. I also find a gentle push on the cowl line with my free hand inward helps the forward curved section go smoother. Hinge replacement is no fun, so Id try the chisel cut first.

Hinge Size

Thanks for all the ideas. I will be trying them all tomorrow. Just in case, does anyone know what the part number is for the hinge? I see many different sizes on Vans page and my manual is out at the hangar.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for all the ideas. I will be trying them all tomorrow. Just in case, does anyone know what the part number is for the hinge? I see many different sizes on Vans page and my manual is out at the hangar.

Thanks,
Mike

If you are a Van’s customer, and have registered on their web site with your serial number, you should be able to look at all the drawings online to check this for yourself….

As for lubing the pins.
If you put lube on the pins before you install them. Think of how the lube is going to get all the way to the other end. I do this with both halves. I had trouble before using this method.
I put it on then insert 1/3rd the way and then squeeze some in between the eyelets as I continue to install the pin.
I have the pins with the flag on the end and I don't have to worry about stabbing myself.
Yes it can get messy. I use the paste Boe-lube.
My luck varies with age Art

Back