What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling attach cam locks

Larry KMYA

Patron
AltHough I already installed the hinge I’m considering converting to the cam locks for the upper cowl firewall attachment. Can anyone help me locate the cam locks and the brackets? Is it worth the effort?

Attachments

• IMG_8064.jpeg
    IMG_8064.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8062.jpeg
    IMG_8062.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 49
Reactions: BES
Used skybolts on the upper and lower cowl attachment of my RV-9A build and love them. all it takes is a minute or so to pull the top cowl. Assembly is reverse of removal…. I like the look myself.

AltHough I already installed the hinge I’m considering converting to the cam locks for the upper cowl firewall attachment. Can anyone help me locate the cam locks and the brackets? Is it worth the effort?
I installed the Skybolt cam locks on my 14 and love em. Makes removing the upper cowl easy. PM me for discussion on locations.

OB of my airplane used Skybolt fasteners to secure the cowl. I don't know what it would take to convert from hinge to Skybolts, but I'm completely satisfied with that arrangement and I'm glad he did not opt to use the hinge

IMG_8933.jpeg.

Looks like several datapoints from happy SkyBolt customers.

As must be the case on VAF, you need another opinion from the other side 😊.

I’m a happy “hinge design” person on my RV-7. Also takes 1 minute to remove the top cowl, another minute to pull the hinges on the lower cowl. Costs nothing extra (HW included as standard in the kit). Well proven design, etc…

Just want to offer an opposite experience – especially if the hinge is already installed.

I went with sky bolts all around the upper cowl and piano hinges on the vertical lower cowl. I started with about 1/32" gap at the horizontal split and thought I had it fitting really well. But, after flying I found out that there's enough slop in my installation that gap opened up to about 1/16". I looked at a bunch of RV's at OSH this year that had about the same, so I don't think that it's just me.

Also, even though I modified the width of the mounting tabs so that I could space them closer than the installation instructions specify I still have some pillowing between the fasteners that I can see in flight at the upper cowl to firewall edge.

Bottom line; If I had to do it again, I'd probably use piano hinges on the horizontal split. I'd still use skybolts on the upper cowl at the firewall, just because I don't want to have to fish around through the oil door trying to get hinge pins in, but I'm going to need to beef up that area of the fiberglass before paint or live with it pillowing up in flight.

Bottom line; If I had to do it again, I'd probably use piano hinges on the horizontal split. I'd still use skybolts on the upper cowl at the firewall, just because I don't want to have to fish around through the oil door trying to get hinge pins in, but I'm going to need to beef up that area of the fiberglass before paint or live with it pillowing up in flight.

I like the clean look of hinge pins but it's a builder's preference. An easy technique to using upper cowling hinge pins is to place the pin in the first hinge eyelet BEFORE attaching the top cowling then slide it in, no fishing required. ;)

Did the same on my 4, 7 and 8. Skybolts on the top cowl at the firewall and on the bottom cowl at the firewall bottom. Piano hinge on the bottom cowl sides at the firewall and across the split line. Love the Skybolts and the clean look of the hinge on the sides!

Back