What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl modifications for 3 blade prop -A models?

edhunter

Well Known Member
Any chance someone has pics of the modifications to the lower cowl, when moving from a 2 blade to a 3 blade prop on the nosewheel models? I know (or have read) the slot for the nosewheel has to be lengthened. Looking for pics showing approx how much the slot needs to be lengthened, as well as then fairing modifications. Thanks.

Only worked on one 3 blade RV, if memory is correct, the slot was probably3 to 4" longer compared to a 2 blader cowling. The builder had a nice fairing over it.

If you have a week or so I can get you some pictures. Im in CA now and dont get back to MI until the 18th. I have a 9A with James cowl, 3 blade Catto. It took me a while to get it figured out but it works fine now.

I did cut it longer and a little wider then made a plate and fairing that goes around the nose leg fairing. If I can find a picture before I get back I will post it.

Edit: I found this one that can give you an idea. It was in my test fitting stage so still lots of work to do on it.

Attachments

• fairing.jpg
    fairing.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Just move the slot as far forward as you can under the fairing.
That was the only change I made going from Hartzell to the MT.

Attachments

• IMG_3652.jpg
    IMG_3652.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 82
Back