What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Flaps on an RV10?

I installed a set, it does help drop high temps on takeoff and they come in handy during say hot days during slow flight like flight training, flight reviews or site seeing.

I will say they won’t fix poor baffling though or poor seal.

I Have 500 hours on my 10 now and just finished up tightening things up again (winter project): 1. sealed up oil door, I was surprised by how much air was passing through the hinges. Found out with an electric harbor freight leaf blower. 2. Built and installed a Dave Anders felt prop seal. 3. Eliminated one air supply tube to the Surefly. 4. Sealed up a little better around the top of my air intake scoop. And also resealed up some baffling.

So I’m looking forward to see if this will help with hot day cht climb out temps.

One other thing I did about a couple months ago was retime my Surefly and I think I was a degree or two advanced. After turning back more to like 23 I did notice an improvement in CHT temps in climb out.

Mike

I installed a set, it does help drop high temps on takeoff and they come in handy during say hot days during slow flight like flight training, flight reviews or site seeing.

I will say they won’t fix poor baffling though or poor seal.

I Have 500 hours on my 10 now and just finished up tightening things up again (winter project): 1. sealed up oil door, I was surprised by how much air was passing through the hinges. Found out with an electric harbor freight leaf blower. 2. Built and installed a Dave Anders felt prop seal. 3. Eliminated one air supply tube to the Surefly. 4. Sealed up a little better around the top of my air intake scoop. And also resealed up some baffling.

So I’m looking forward to see if this will help with hot day cht climb out temps.

One other thing I did about a couple months ago was retime my Surefly and I think I was a degree or two advanced. After turning back more to like 23 I did notice an improvement in CHT temps in climb out.

Mike
Did you get more speed from decreased cooling drag?

Did you get more speed from decreased cooling drag?
I’d say I don’t think so, my main concern was helping with cht temps on climb. Not saying it’s not possible, maybe others have but not that I noticed.

Seem to be several variables with the cooling drag thing in order to hit the target.

I do loose a couple knots in cruise when extended though.

I put my cowl flaps on 9 and 3 of the cowl and not on the bottom, it's a low pressure area on the -10, this is based on the manufacture so that's where I have them. I also agree, that it's not a replacement for baffling or inner baffling.

I terms of speed, I am not seeing a change I can correlate.
I hooked mine up with one switch one light.

Is it a must, NO.
Does it help on climb outs on a hot day YES.

Has anyone put cowl flaps on a 10?
and if so, what were the results?
I definitly recommend them in lieu of the louvers. And echo what the others have said about baffling leaks. I installed mine specifically to reduce cooling during cruise. I can tell you that the couple of times I forgot to close them, chts got real cold in cruise. So they do what they are supposed to. Whether they are faster than louvers or not? Who knows? I definitly like being able to have another tool in the bag for engine heat management.

Back