What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl exit air attach brackets

Gnvflyer

9A here with screws for the cowl lower attach points instead of hinges.

Finally figured out how the exit air attach brackets mount and am considering leaving it off. The cowl seems solid without it.

Has anyone left this assembly off, or is that a bad idea?

9A here with screws for the cowl lower attach points instead of hinges.

Finally figured out how the exit air attach brackets mount and am considering leaving it off. The cowl seems solid without it.

Has anyone left this assembly off, or is that a bad idea?

Exit air attach bracket? The thing that keeps the coal shovel from vibrating/flexing itself to death?

Exit air attach bracket? The thing that keeps the coal shovel from vibrating/flexing itself to death?

Yes, it seems it's purpose is too stabilize the bottom of the cowl somewhat in addition to giving you something to attach a small trim plate that covers the slot for the nose gear. Additionally, it captures the ends of the hinge pins if you go that route.

I don't know for sure, but the trim plate may contribute to directing cooling air.

Yes, it seems it's purpose is too stabilize the bottom of the cowl somewhat in addition to giving you something to attach a small trim plate that covers the slot for the nose gear. Additionally, it captures the ends of the hinge pins if you go that route.

I don't know for sure, but the trim plate may contribute to directing cooling air.

Your call, but my sense is that you risk fatigue cracks in your cowl if you leave it off for long.

It might surprise you how much internal air pressure is pushing outward on that part of the cowl in high speed flight.

Buttoning up the bottom of my lower cowl noticeably contributed to lower engine temps. Air pushing up through the slot for the nose gear seemed to disrupt the proper flow of cooling air traveling down from the cylinders and out the chute. Once I had all the brackets and fairings in place to cover the slot, my CHT’s dropped. The cowl exit attach bracket helps secure the bottom to ensure proper airflow.

Buttoning up the bottom of my lower cowl noticeably contributed to lower engine temps. Air pushing up through the slot for the nose gear seemed to disrupt the proper flow of cooling air traveling down from the cylinders and out the chute. Once I had all the brackets and fairings in place to cover the slot, my CHT’s dropped. The cowl exit attach bracket helps secure the bottom to ensure proper airflow.

I suspected that might be the case. Based on feedback received here and from others, I'm going to go ahead and put it on.

Thanks for all the replies.

Back