What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cover for flap actuators?

danny

Well Known Member
I was thinking (Warning : danger Will Robinson!) about the spinning flap actuator rod in the baggage floor and had visions of things getting sucked into and jamming and possibly preventing flap actuation. I'm going to build some kind of cover to prevent that but also I'm wondering if anyone else has done the same? If so could you share what you did?
thanks
danny
RV9 IO-360 with spare, useless Superior crankshaft

What aircraft?

I've been back there in that floor a lot in my RV-9A and can't envision a spinning flap actuator rod in the baggage floor.

Last edited:
My -4 cover-up

I'm still confused about the OP's aircraft type, but in my -4, I built floor and sidewall coverings to prevent any jamming of controls and flap arms, ect.

Attachments

• front seat.jpg
    front seat.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 140
  • rear seat.jpg
    rear seat.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 150
I'm still confused about the OP's aircraft type, but in my -4, I built floor and sidewall coverings to prevent any jamming of controls and flap arms, ect.

Just to be a little "nit-picky"; on your document display, the Airworthiness Certificate should be in front of the registration.

Last edited:
maybe not the best terminology

There's an exposed "tube" that is behind both seats where the seatbacks install and on the fwd cargo floor. It is connected to the left and right flap control rods. While the flaps are being raised or lowered the tube is moving and looks like it would be easy for something to get jammed between it and the floor. Just thinking out loud here but wondering if anybody else had the same thoughts.
danny
RV9 forever project.

There's an exposed "tube" that is behind both seats where the seatbacks install and on the fwd cargo floor. It is connected to the left and right flap control rods. While the flaps are being raised or lowered the tube is moving and looks like it would be easy for something to get jammed between it and the floor. Just thinking out loud here but wondering if anybody else had the same thoughts.
danny
RV9 forever project.

The flap actuator weldment moves slowly and is completely smooth between the bearing blocks. Personally I don't see how anything could get jammed in there and affect its slow rotation and I don't worry about it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 4.08.51 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 4.08.51 PM.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 70
FLYBOY ACCESSORIES

Not sure if applicable … but FLYBOY ACCESSORIES has one that works great in RV4 , rocket etc

I was thinking (Warning : danger Will Robinson!) about the spinning flap actuator rod in the baggage floor and had visions of things getting sucked into and jamming and possibly preventing flap actuation. I'm going to build some kind of cover to prevent that but also I'm wondering if anyone else has done the same? If so could you share what you did?
thanks
danny
RV9 IO-360 with spare, useless Superior crankshaft

It does not spin, it will rotate less that 45 degrees for full flaps. You would need to wedge something tight under the tube that would grab on the tube to cause a problem.

There are thousands of RV's with this system and there has never been anyone on this site that has reported an issue with anything getting caught by this tube....
Go worry about something else...:rolleyes:

Back