What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert a slider rv6 to a tip up

Judging by the number of different parts involved I would venture to say no.

The canopy itself is cut differently, the roll cage for the canopy is different. Fuselage construction is different, both up front and behind the seats.
The canopy section in the RV-7 manual is about half and half for slider vs tip up.

Having said all that with enough new parts, time and determination, any thing is feasible.

Dictionary definition:

fea·si·ble
(adjective)
possible to do easily or conveniently.

Possible? Maybe. Feasible? No.

Really and truly a slider gets more airflow into the cockpit than a tip-up during taxi. Secondly I’ve never have liked a tip-up for the following reasons: 1. The canopy is very flimsy. 2. It’s more susceptible to leaks into the subpanel ruining equipment. 3. It harder to get stuff in n out of the baggage area. A slider is much easier and even more easier with the Super slide rails. 4. I don’t find it easier to see out of than with a slider.

I’ve owned both a slider and a tip-up. Personally I won’t ever buy a tip-up. I’m not sure why the 14’s don’t come as a slider. If I ever build one I would build it as a slider if possible. But that’s just me

Really and truly a slider gets more airflow into the cockpit than a tip-up during taxi. Secondly I’ve never have liked a tip-up for the following reasons: 1. The canopy is very flimsy. 2. It’s more susceptible to leaks into the subpanel ruining equipment. 3. It harder to get stuff in n out of the baggage area. A slider is much easier and even more easier with the Super slide rails. 4. I don’t find it easier to see out of than with a slider.

I’ve owned both a slider and a tip-up. Personally I won’t ever buy a tip-up. I’m not sure why the 14’s don’t come as a slider. If I ever build one I would build it as a slider if possible. But that’s just me

I've owned a tip-up and now a slider. I agree with all 4 points and would add another - if you ever wind up upside down, the rollbar to tail geometry looks more survivable.

Ed

Personal choice

I have a tip up but have flown a number of hours in sliders.
The visibility out of the tip up is great but even with various seals and an internal instrument cover it still leaks in the rain.
I’d still say it is for me, the better option.
But unless there’s no work been done on the upper fuselage I wouldn’t contemplate changing late in the build. You’ll still end up with a great aircraft. Trying to change it will probably set the average builder back a few months. +$ for little gain.

Regards Peter

Last edited:
With a tip-up, so much visibility, you see the world unobstructed.

Also, it acts like a giant parachute and if left unattended in the up position a strong gust can certainly damage things.

In the 14's tip-up design, it has a resting position for airflow while taxi.

Also, when not latched, starting and shutting down the engine rattles it back and forth in a manner that *seems* like it could tweak something. Sounds terrible, probably doesn't damage anything, maybe.

I'm exactly 50/50 on this, both have nice benefits.

One of the local RV groups has converted a number of tip-ups to sliders, presumably going the other way is possible as well?

I'm converting a tip up -6 to a slider
Anything is possible
The slider-tip up debate is a large one...
The canopy install on these airplanes in my experience is one of the biggest and toughest of the build no matter how you slice it/cut it
If you have a slider those frames are worth big money, probably sellable
Mike

The -14 tip up is WAY more robust than the old -6 tip up. I can totally relate to not wanting to intentionally obstruct the view. No surprise at all to me that Vans does not offer a slider for the -14.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 89
The guy I bought my tip ups wife got her arm wacked by it, I think that's why he sold it...
I didn't know there had been successful conversions, does anyone have notes or a build log for how they converted from tip up to slider that they could share? It's something I would consider doing along with planned future panel upgrade.

I my humble opinion an RV-6 slider is worth more $$$ than a tip up so why try fix it?
I have tip up's and really wished they were a sliders.
When you have the tip up canopy SLAM shut because of a gust of wind. It's like OH !!!*%&#$@!!! Did it break or get destroyed. Had it happen.
I have an RV-6 and a RV-6A and would love to have a slider.
Not going to change them though
My three cents worth Art

Back