What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Stick Travel

Swingwing

I am fitting the control sticks and don’t believe I am getting full forward (down) travel. The horizontal cross tie bar is hitting the top of the lightning holes in the floor ribs. Is this normal?

1594075-B-5054-45-CE-B69-A-E7349-D75-F3-A5.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
I think I had to trim that rib a little to get the full travel. But I did it after the empennage was mounted permanently.

What they said

The elevator up and down stops are part of the elevator install, so what everyone is trying to say you cannot judge control interference until then elevator is mounted.

Mine did as well

As others have said wait until you have the elevators installed. The stop will limit the travel, but having said that I needed to trim a very small amount on that rib. I believe I used a dremel and sanding drum.

Thank you

I appreciate the advice. I'll wait until the elevator is connected to determine if I have enough travel and then grind the lightning holes slightly if needed. I was surprised by the interference being that all the components were factory fabricated

If I remember correctly, you could check stick movement clearance with a digital level (even before hooking up to control surfaces).
With fuselage level, control stick vertical (neutral) - 20 deg forward, 20 deg back, 20 deg left & 20 right.
Some builders set their neutral with a bit forward tilt than find they can’t get the full forward elevator angle.

If I remember correctly, you could check stick movement clearance with a digital level (even before hooking up to control surfaces).
With fuselage level, control stick vertical (neutral) - 20 deg forward, 20 deg back, 20 deg left & 20 right.
Some builders set their neutral with a bit forward tilt than find they can’t get the full forward elevator angle.

Thank you for the degree angles. This will be a quick check to see if I'm close to what is needed

Mine rubbed in exactly the same place. I think that it likely won't be an issue when the controls are installed and travel is limited, but I went ahead and relieved it there with a file so that the sharp edge it wouldn't saw thru the powder coat on the weldment prior to then. didn't take much.

Found a couple of those ribs rubbing on the first condition inspection 14 years ago, removed some material, installed bridges, still clear after all these years.

Back