What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Consolidating Firewall Penetrations

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I've just hung the engine and am now confronting all the items that must pass through the firewall to operate it.

Concept #1. It seems to me that there are 5 categories: mechanical cables, Fuel, Cabin heated air, electrical power cables, and sensor cables.

The fuel and heated air pass-throughs are already in the firewall.

I understand that laying power lines next to sensor lines is not good, so that would seem to indicate at least 2 more openings.

Finally the mechanical cables. There are 3 already there conveniently lined up with the throttle/mixture/prop quadrant, so that would leave 3 more cables for cabin heat, oil cooler shutter and alternate air. Since the wisdom of Van's gave each cable its own opening, should I continue that and give each cable its own, or can they be grouped?

Is the pass-through fitting the same for mechanical cables as it is for wiring?

On the other hand, Concept #2 might group items by location, and so mix wiring (but not power and sensor) with mechanical cables if they're going in the same place.

Thoughts?

I've just hung the engine and am now confronting all the items that must pass through the firewall to operate it.

Concept #1. It seems to me that there are 5 categories: mechanical cables, Fuel, Cabin heated air, electrical power cables, and sensor cables.

The fuel and heated air pass-throughs are already in the firewall.

I understand that laying power lines next to sensor lines is not good, so that would seem to indicate at least 2 more openings.

Finally the mechanical cables. There are 3 already there conveniently lined up with the throttle/mixture/prop quadrant, so that would leave 3 more cables for cabin heat, oil cooler shutter and alternate air. Since the wisdom of Van's gave each cable its own opening, should I continue that and give each cable its own, or can they be grouped?

Is the pass-through fitting the same for mechanical cables as it is for wiring?

On the other hand, Concept #2 might group items by location, and so mix wiring (but not power and sensor) with mechanical cables if they're going in the same place.

Thoughts?

I have individual holes for each push-pull cable, all wires together in one hole, and a yet-unused penetration for my future smoke system. I have my battery on the firewall, so current going back through the FW is only about 6-8A. I have not seen any issue with sensors and this power cable being in close proximity.

I also have a penetration for fuel, and a fuel return next to it.

Back