What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Confusion with page 26-16 - Are they seat or baggage ribs????

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm working on page 26-16 and I'm totally confused. The plans refer to the ribs shown on this page interchangeably as both seat and baggage ribs. For example, Step 2 calls F-01423A-L & R baggage ribs. Step 3 calls them seat ribs. Which is it????

The main caption on Figure 1 says "Dimple seat ribs" but most of the steps refer to them as baggage ribs. I think they are all baggage ribs but I'm not sure.

I figured out how to do all the steps by looking at the diagram except Step 1. It says "Dimple the #40 holes in the lower flanges of the baggage ribs shown". Is it asking me to dimple the lower flange holes in every rib shown on this page?

Yes, all bottom flanges will get dimpled. I made a note of which step occurs to which parts in the photo attached. Hope this helps a bit.

Attachments

• 9CFD4D3F-8A46-41EF-BEA4-E9BEE09301A2.jpeg
    9CFD4D3F-8A46-41EF-BEA4-E9BEE09301A2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Yes, all bottom flanges will get dimpled. I made a note of which step occurs to which parts in the photo attached. Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks. Yeah, I assumed all the #40 holes in the lower flanges of all the ribs on this page get dimpled since they will be attached to skins but I was only 99% sure. I'm trying really, really hard not to make mistakes and the plans drive me crazy some times because there are so many inconsistencies like this. I'm also 99% sure all the ribs on this page are baggage ribs even though the plans call them seat ribs...errr, baggage ribs....wait seat...

Can you point them out so I can update the WIKI
Well, assuming all the ribs on that page are baggage ribs, all the references to seat ribs (I think there are four of them) should be changed to baggage ribs - including the caption on diagram #1.

Shout out to Vans support being open or at least checking Email in Presidents Day. Whoop whoop!

WIKI updated.

Answer is bellow-------

Every rib on page 16, Figure 1, are baggage ribs. Must be a typo.

Mahalo!
Tom

Van's Aircraft

I checked the Wiki and I don't see a new comment or link on page 26-16. Is the Wiki update located somewhere else? I'm looking here:
RV-14 Wiki
Might take a few minutes.

However on further review.....if you look at page one they are all baggage ribs. So asking support for clarification.

I actually don't care what they call the ribs as long as they are consistent :)

I've spent more time looking at the plans and all the ribs on page 26-16 are in fact baggage ribs. Part of my confusion as a first time builder is that I don't always have the "big picture" on where certain parts of the kit go in the airplane. I'm good at following clear instructions but I'm not always able to visualize how all the parts go together or exactly where they are located in the overall structure. And yes, I do skip forward in the plans to help in this regard but sometimes what I'm looking for is way, way ahead in the plans or in a kit I don't have yet so I give up. Also, I'm super paranoid about avoiding mistakes so I try not to make assumptions although I'm forced to do just that almost every day.

Anyway, back to page 26-16....Steps 3, 4 and 5 refer to seat ribs along with the main diagram #1 caption. So, there are four "typos" on that page.

Last edited:
Support came back with

"You shouldn't have to change anything, just be mindful that typos sometimes exist. Generally speaking, the instructions are pretty accurate."

Since fixing typo's is not high on the list nowadays. I corrected the page on the WIKI.

As a back up that we do have the correct typo identified, Page one main diagram identifies F-01423A-L & R as baggage ribs.

Since fixing typo's is not high on the list nowadays. I corrected the page on the WIKI.
I don't think correcting errors in the plans has ever been much of a priority as many of them are 5-10 years old.

I still think Vans could save one full time support position by simply taking all the corrections and clarifications in the wiki and updating the plans with those changes.

Back