What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Concave shape of spinner bulkhead

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I saw this mentioned before, and I seem to have the same situation. No idea if this is "normal" or not. I can't see why it would cause a big problem, but wanted to check with the collective wisdom of "the VAF".

Here's one pic - others available if you click on the picture.

Thanks for any hints!

That's normal. While on the topic, be sure to bolt the bulkhead to the prop when fitting the cone to it and the forward smaller bulkhead. On my Hartzell installations, the forward bulkhead is a bit under diameter for where it winds up relative to the rear bulkhead. (Whether or not you added washers on top of the supplied 3/8" bushings is also a factor.) Instead of Van's sloppy way of filling the gap with fiberglass layups, just fab a spacer of appropriate thickness between the aft side of the bulkhead and the prop dome so the bulkhead is moved forward a tad. Latest project needed .154 thick and I did not add washers atop the bushings. Same concept for other instances of prop types where the forward bulkhead is too small.

John Siebold

Back