What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

compressor setup QUestion

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
First off, I have a 60 gallon oil compressor. I have an water separator that I am going to hook up to the compressor. I put hockey pucks under the legs for vibration. I screwed them in place. I plan to chain the compressor to keep it from failing over. Questions:

1. should I use a piece of flexible line between the compressor and the piping? I saw this on a youtube video. the guy was saying that it would minimize the vibration from the compressor out to the pipes.

2. Is a desiccant cartridge needed for painting/priming?

Thanks
Ken

Questions:

1. should I use a piece of flexible line between the compressor and the piping? I saw this on a youtube video. the guy was saying that it would minimize the vibration from the compressor out to the pipe.

Sort answer - yes. I have the same setup - I went to my local on-highway truck shop and got air compressor hose and fittings for the connection. It was surprisingly cheap, those truck guys want it to last forever, never break, and be low cost. Bulk hose and threaded fittings. It has been installed for about 15 years, and never leaks. My compressor is in the basement under the kitchen and I did not want the vibration making noise or developing leaks at the connection.

I supply 175 psi to my lines (black pipe) and drop pressures at wall outlets.

I will let contemporary painters make recommendations, to the paint question. FWIW, though, I do have a water separator for painting, but no desiccant. I only shoot small batches of primer, or top coat, in solvent based single stage paints (not water). A dedicated hose is used for painting. No blushing, no fisheyes, no issues for small batches.

Last edited:
Sort answer - yes. I have the same setup - I went to my local on-highway truck shop and got air compressor hose and fittings for the connection. It was surprisingly cheap, those truck guys want it to last forever, never break, and be low cost. Bulk hose and threaded fittings. It has been installed for about 15 years, and never leaks. My compressor is in the basement under the kitchen and I did not want the vibration making noise or developing leaks at the connection.

I supply 175 psi to my lines (black pipe) and drop pressures at wall outlets.

I will let contemporary painters respond to the paint question.

Not JUST black pipe..... It should be SCH.80 to be safe. And all HD fittings.

Last edited:
Not JUST black pipe..... It should be SCH.80 to be safe. And all HD fittings.

Interesting, I installed this 23 years ago. Every shop I worked in the 70's had black pipe and ran 175 psi. I never gave it a thought. Funny, I am an engineer too.

I just did some looking, and apparently the limit is 150psi. But that seemed to include 100 psi margin for water hammer. What are the details or reference for your comment? I am not challenging, just wanting more information.

BTW - I would not recommend black pipe, sch 40 or 80. It was a real pain to install without leaks, and the on going chips of rust is a nuisance. I did some study on copper, and would (will) go that way for the my next system with appropriate hard solder.

Thanks for the heads up!

I have an old two-stage compressor which I run at 170-180 psi. I drop it to 100 psi right at the tank and have a water separator there. I run a PEX to a manifold and then PEX to a few different drops. I also added a large water separator and filter at the paint booth.

Ken,
I have been painting primer/base/clear with no problems so far. I have a oiled compressor with a 1/2" water separator - high pressure connect - regulator - 3/8" water separator then low pressure coupler.
This way the paint hose goes through the second separator and regulator. I was too cheap to buy a descant.

Is this the type of black pipe that you are talking about? http://www.ipspipe.com/Documents/Spec/Pipe_pressure_rating.pdf

If so, then the allowable working pressure of 3/4" and 1/2" schedule 40 is 2300 and 2000 psi respectively. This is seemless pipe. Burst pressure is greater than 10,000 psi for both. I have worked with small glass vessels (1" diameter) which could operate at 120-140 psi.

Pex is rated to 100 psi @ 74F and 160 @180F. The nice thing about Pex (and this is a guess) is that it will not spontaneously decompose into shrapnel like PVC pipe. When PVC goes, it created stuff that will hurt people. I think that Pex will just stretch and tear open when it bursts. Sort of like what stainless steel piping typically does. My concern with Pex is that you don't want to be damaging the outside of the pipe.

http://www.ipspipe.com/Documents/Spec/Pipe_pressure_rating.pdf

Back