What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compressor - Old vs New

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
Help me with a little dilemma. What's better - an old compressor built like a tank, or a newer compressor without the wear and tear on it?

I was originally going to buy a portable 20-30 gallon compressor since I will likely be moving in a few years and a smaller unit on wheels obviously makes that easier, but I found 2 used compressors for sale that are making me second guess that idea!

One is a 30ish gallon Speedaire (probably from around 1980?). It's got some serious miles on it, but they built those things like tanks compared to today. The other option is a 60 gallon Sanborn that is relatively new. Both are 220v. I couldn't find data on the Speedaire, but if I'm guessing right it's a champion pump that should put out around 10 cfm. I believe the Sanborn is more in the 11.5-13 cfm range.

Here's the kicker, they are both for sale for $200. So what's your take - old vs new? Small(er) vs big? Known brand vs hardware store special?

speedaire.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

sanborn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FWIW. I had an older commercial air compressor back in the 80's that I purchased second hand. I didn't really pay much attention when I purchased the unit but it did not have a safety blow off valve installed. It was mounted under my work bench in the garage. One day I was doing some serious spray painting with it and thought to myself that the thing was running a lot and not cycling off. Right about then the tank exploded and everything went flying. Luckily the departing motor and twin cylinder compressor unit missed me as they departed the tank but the force of the "explosion" blew the wall of the garage next to where the compressor sat out with a debris field almost 100' behind the garage. The tank opened up at the welded seam and there was rust inside the tank. No more unknown history stuff for me any longer.

To add to the good advice above, and in my experience...Single or two stage compresser on either? Two stage will do the job quieter and at a lower RPM...last longer...
I have one of each and hate the single stage.
Run and listen to them both...

Both single stage. Only difference is the Speedaire is a 3 cylinder model. I have little doubt that the Speedaire would be a higher qulaity and likely a little quieter. The size and age factor is the only reason the Sanborn has me waffling. Unfortunately they're both a good drive from my home (in opposite directions of course). I don't know enough to know if the Sanborns are reliable compressors or if the old Speedaire would still be solid after 30+ years of use. :confused:

Both single stage. Only difference is the Speedaire is a 3 cylinder model. I have little doubt that the Speedaire would be a higher qulaity and likely a little quieter. The size and age factor is the only reason the Sanborn has me waffling. Unfortunately they're both a good drive from my home (in opposite directions of course). I don't know enough to know if the Sanborns are reliable compressors or if the old Speedaire would still be solid after 30+ years of use. :confused:

Just a few minutes with Google found that Sanborn was purchased by Coleman and then purchased by Matt Industries. While I didn't spend the time to validate, it appears that they also OEM manufacture other brands like Kobalt (Lowes), Sears, and Menards. Plenty of articles and reviews online.

The capacitor start motor on the Sanborn is a electric pig and will cost more to operate. The Speedaire is a higher quality pump and motor. But those welds on the base plate mount brackets don't look factory. Be careful there.

Look for 10 cfm at 90 psi. Most of those cheap vertical compressors like in the photo rate the HP of the motor by amp draw. They do not deliver the hp rated. you should get about 4 CFM of delivered air at 90 PSI per HP. One HP is about 746 watts.

There does not appear to be a capacitor on the Speedaire electric motor. Check, it might be 3 phase (you might have 220 but not 3 phase at your house).

Three phase usually comes in around 7 hp and above. This three cyl compressor is running way under 5 hp. No capacitor because because this motor is worth 4X the other. Much higher quality.

If those welds check out good, and a test run went OK, I think I would lean toward the Speedaire because of the quality. Call a local motor shop and ask questions. The pumps are simple, nothing much to go wrong there. If you do purchase a used unit, as mentioned above, educate yourself on the parts and safety relief valves needed to function properly. Also, belt guards etc.

Vertical tanks are much more difficult to move around and work on. But take up less floor space. Most belt driven compressors that we would find in hobby shops and places like tire shops only run the pump at about 700 to 800 rpm. Most of the noise of this type is from the inlet port. They make inlet port muffler filters that make a big difference.

My 5HP Baldor motor turns at 1725 rpm and runs the pump at 784 rpm, draw 28.5 amps on 230 volts, pumping 23 cfm. This was a used pump when I purchased it in 1973.

Most really noisy small compressors will not be belt driven. And they will drive you crazy. A small pump on a large tank will run a long time when it kicks in. For most of our use, drilling and running a rivet gun and small dye grinders, a 2.5 or 3 hp belt driven single stage 125 psi shutoff on a 30 gallon tank will do it.

And make sure that the compressor is shut off when you are not with it. She will not like it starting up at 3 am..................:eek:

If it's not 3-phase, I'd go with the big ugly green one. It looks like it has lots of experience. Put a new relief valve on it and press on. My Dad had one similar to it (don't remember brand) that he ran for around 40 years (it outlived him:(), and that's what I alway thought an air compressor should look like.

We have a mid -90's speedaire running our shop

We have a mid -90's speedaire running our shop and it is quiet and so far I really like it. The Speedaire replaced a cheaper one built much like that sanborn pictured. The cheaper one we had was on it's third pump when we bought the used Speedaire.

I have been very happy with the speedaire although we have only 4 years on it so far. We are not easy on it either. It is a 10hp 3 phase 120 gallon unit that sometimes will run for 1-2 hours straight with no break. It gets mighty warm, but just keeps on running.

If you can take the inspection cap off the end of the tank, it would be a good idea to inspect for rust inside the tank. That will likely be the only problems you could encounter. MAKE SURE THERE IS NO PRESSURE IN THE TANK WHEN YOU TAKE THE CAP OFF!!! It will blow out with amazing force if you do not relieve the pressure. Taking fingers with it!!

Tank

But those welds on the base plate mount brackets don't look factory. Be careful there.

Good catch on that! Originally I just thought it was a sloppy weld by the owner because of a cracked manufacturer's weld or something. Now that you point it out though, I'm 99% sure that is not the original Speedaire tank. The mounting plate welds are goofy, and so are the welds on the legs of the tank. To top it off, I've actually never seen a Speedaire with a tank that was welded in the center of the cylinder. All of them that I've seen have the end caps welded on instead. I suppose it's possible that they did it this way back in the early 80's, but I'm skeptical now.

While I know the pump and motor are likely much higher quality, the unknown on the tank is making me nervous. It could be beefier than the original tank, or it could be total garbage...

I prefer an ASME tank. I think think the standards begin at 30 gal and will have an inspection plug. Good luck!

Good catch on those welds, ugly.

I have a couple of Ingersol Rand 'Charge Air Pro' compressors, both 5HP, one 60 gallon, one 80 gallon.
I know they are older, but they run just fine. On old compressors, the tank is the potential problem. The motor, pump and controls can all be replaced if they ever wear out. But the tank is the foundation for everything else. If it rusts out, from the condensate in the bottom, it probably won't blow up. But how would you fix that leak and have confidence in it? A new compressor tank would probably cost more than your used compressor?
(I'm thinking of vertical tanks with the motor/pump on top)
If it has an inspection port, and it looks good in there, that would be a real confidence booster.

When you are looking at quality compressors, the pump is by far the most expensive single component. And for safety, A new tank is money well spent if needed.

Or, look at it this way..... If you have never needed a compressor in your life up to this point, you really won't need one after the build except for little things and a cheap loud Harbor Freight on wheels unit will be all you need.

For the price, the Sanborn would be my choice. Even if I changed out the motor later. The motor will be your biggest problem with that unit. Depending on it's past use, it should make it through your project.

The tank alone is worth $200.00

Last edited:
Although I stated my preference above, my son Peter prefers the 150 PSI Porter Cable pancake compressor.
http://www.portercable.com/products/productdetail.aspx?productid=17019
It's got a carry handle on top, which works, it also has a pressure regulator, and it meets all his riveting needs. We have gone toward battery drills, so we don't use the air drills as much. Obviously a large paint job would be too much for this compressor.

Last edited:
Back