What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

compressor oiler/dryer/filter?

gfb

Well Known Member
Putting the workshop together, picked up an oiled compressor. Seems like I need an oil separator for spraying primer? Any recommendations on brand/model/type?

Should I put the oil sep in front of all the lines? I hear some people do that and just put a drop of oil in their tools every day?

Thanks!

I have been putting a drop of oil (usually automotive multigrade that is left over) in my air tools for as long as I can remember. Some of my air tools are over 40 years old and still work fine. None of my air tools have died.
Only problem is the oil blows out the air vent of the tool and make the outside of the tool oily.. so you need to wipe off the tool after each use (also not a bad idea.
Highly recommend the oil thing.

I have been putting a drop of oil (usually automotive multigrade that is left over) in my air tools for as long as I can remember. Some of my air tools are over 40 years old and still work fine. None of my air tools have died.
Only problem is the oil blows out the air vent of the tool and make the outside of the tool oily.. so you need to wipe off the tool after each use (also not a bad idea.
Highly recommend the oil thing.

+1, but use marvel mystery oil or dexron aft. ATF has very good detergents and will clean the interior of tools very well. I flood/flush the tools periodically with oil then keep running with a towel over the discharge until the oil discharge runs clean, not dark. Most of my air tools are circa 1973. The Rodac air drill is my primary tool for building.

As for your air filtration question, I use an older sharp brand, but there are many modern copies of the binks today. I dedicate a specific air hose downstream of the filter for painting to avoid contamination.

Put an oil seperator in line at a convenient point. But for paint spraying you will need more. I used the disposable plastic filter that screws into the air inlet on the spray gun. It does a good job of catching water condensate and any oil that may be in your hoses.

Be very careful with the filter Brad is talking about. I bought a few from HF and since I was new to painting it took me a while to figure out why my paint was going on dry. Not enough paint due to not enough air pressure at the gun. That little filter clogged up very quickly. I then started using two separators at the compressor. The first one a little larger so as to slow the air down.

I did not use filters from HF. I bought mine from my paint store and they worked flawlessly for painting my RV-8. Self etching Variprime followed by Corlar epoxy and top coated with Imron single stage on the exterior. All internal parts were Variprimed, and those that were not alclad were also sprayed with Corlar. One of the issues is that you will get condensation in your air lines from the compressed air cooling and dropping in pressure. If this occurs after the in-line filter, it will come out the spray gun and fowl your paint. Of course, I may have had more of an issue with moisture living in high humidity Houston. But the filter at the gun inlet will catch this moisture. Just my experience. Yours may vary.

Back