What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Common Wiring Harness

asw20c

Well Known Member
I suspect this has been discussed before, but my attempts at searching came up short. I'm starting to install my panel which includes the common wiring harness, WH-000125, that connects to the wiring harness already installed in the tailcone to the panel. I purchased this wiring harness from Stein Air with my panel. They did a beautiful job building the wiring harnesses, but I'm at a loss as to how you would route it through all the brackets, spar, etc. The holes that are provided for that purpose are simply too small to allow the connectors through and I have been meticulous in not making holes bigger or removing metal throughout the build. I want the structure to remain as strong as possible. It seems the only practical solution is to remove the connectors, route the wiring, then reinstall the connectors. Of course that comes with the risk of getting the pins in the wrong holes. Anyone care to comment on how they did this with Stein-built wiring harnesses?

Just finishing a complete electrical upgrade nose to tail. Removing the d-sub connectors can seem a daunting task but it’s easy. Take pics of connectors before disassembly, I suspect stein used different colored wires for ease of assembly. Get a metal pin removal tool - the plastic ones are **** imo. Enlarge holes as needed w unibit, use bushings to protect wires. Enjoy the fact you’re building a freaking airplane!

Anyone care to comment on how they did this with Stein-built wiring harnesses?

I just did my WH-000125 harness up to the panel but have not done anything with the panel. The SOP is to run the harness through all the holes, without the snap bushings in place. Cut the snap bushings afterwards and slide them over the wiring harness and snap in place. I did not like how most of the snap bushings were kinda loose in the holes so I put a dab of pro seal on every one. The stick runs were a little challenging but not impossible. Bend the wires coming out of the back of molex so they lay flat and slide them through the keyhole knockout. I did not have to remove any connectors (molex) to install the harness.
20230510_172349.jpg

Couple tools I used to install snap bushings and prevent damage to wires.

20230523_192737.jpg

20230523_192032.jpg
Do you have a copy of Section 55 Common Fuselage Harness?

Last edited:
Thanks Todd, this was exactly what I was looking for. I thought it would be impossible to thread the wiring harness through all the holes but you proved otherwise!

Back