What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comm Antennas an location

cooprv10

I'm New Here
I did a search on the RV-14 side but apologize if this has been covered. Just curious what comm antennas folks are using and where they are located?

I have the copper foil on the roof of my RV-10 for Comm 2 which I thought would be good for communications on the ground, but not a good choice for the -14. With the taildragger setup I'm guessing further forward, maybe just behind the spar but split by 18"+ based on some other aircraft forum info.

I also read about the Delta Pop antennas. They are certainly cheaper, anyone have any issues?

Thanks,
Marcus

Though not -14 specific, you may find the antenna location on my Rocket somewhat relevant.
I wanted to keep the clean lines of the Rocket's fast-back, so I put all my antennas on the bottom of the aircraft.
Com 1 is on the right side forward of the main spar.
Com 2 is aft. To the left of the elevator bell-crank.
When on deck the airframe shadows each location differently due to the fore-aft and left-right stagger. In the rare instance that one is struggling, the other works fine.
I love my Delta Pop antennas. They look and work great.

Last edited:
Check out RV14 plans page 28.02 - forward bottom skins.
You can fit antenna doublers both sides if using 2 comm radios. These have two mounting holes as do the Delta pop antennae. I have this set up which works perfectly.

I bought my bent whip antennas from Van’s. They sell Delta Pop antennas. No complaints. :cool:

Thanks, that’s what Stein Air recommended too so I’m headed that direction.

Just make a note that the mounting of the Comant CI-122 is via 4 screws on the corners while the Delta Pop uses two inline bolts. I made the mistake of not noticing the difference and drilled the skin for the inline holes and dimpled the doubler rivet holes. Had to make new doublers and then flatten & drill out the dimpled holes.

Attachments

• com.jpeg
    com.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 74
  • com2.jpeg
    com2.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 61
Second radio later?

If only running one com radio, where should you mount the antenna? It seems logical to mount it on center.

Probably but what happens if you or the next buyer wants to have a second radio? With remote radios an option now pretty easy to do. Second ant would go in-line?

Last edited:
If only running one com radio, where should you mount the antenna? It seems logical to mount it on center.

Assuming belly mount; center will put it into the exhaust stream where it will pick up more grime than if it is off to the side. Also, if installing a transponder antenna then there needs to be 3' separation from comm so putting off-center helps. I have only one comm and have put the antenna on the left side.

Back