What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clearcoat+Decal adhesion if paint is Single Stage?

Tall_Order

Well Known Member
Patron
I did a DIY rattlecan paintjob on my canopy skirt am considering this method on the whole plane. It is a single-stage epoxy high gloss. I did the wet-sand, cut-buff and polish. After curing it a couple months, I designed and made some vinyl decals on a Cricut machine and applied them. I think there is a good chance that some of the smaller letters would not survive the airflow in flight. Short of making a large printed decal instead, does anyone have any recommendations for a good clear or sealant to make small vinyl letters more likely to stay on? (I am concerned about the coating creating some kind of clouding or discoloration) I am a novice painter so my painting/coating product knowledge is limited.

Attachments

• SingleStagenDecals.jpg
    SingleStagenDecals.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 44
The only way to know for sure it to test. As you are already down the rattle can approach, get one or two clear coat rattle can options, and setup some test decals on test blanks, coated with the base single stage paint. This will answer the question of compatibility for both the base paint, and decal.

Be sure to use the same brand and check to see what they say. I tried a clear coat on my plenum and it looked like I sprayed stripper on it. Lots of sanding later and repainting it looks ok. But I didnt try it again!

You can get an edge sealer for vinyl graphics.
This is gold, thanks! I did not know a dedicated product for this existed

Lots of sanding later and repainting it looks ok. But I didnt try it again!
Ouch, yeah this is (even worse than) what I am worried about. Thanks for sharing how this can actually happen!

get one or two clear coat rattle can options, and setup some test decals on test blanks, coated with the base single stage paint.

Great idea; I think I will do this and compare how it looks against the vinyl edge sealer option. Will give an idea on how I can approach creating the rest of the paint/decal scheme.

You could also apply a single large clear vinyl over top of the labels. I did that on a bike i restored and the result came out quite nice.
1708051278047.png

Be sure to use the same brand and check to see what they say. I tried a clear coat on my plenum and it looked like I sprayed stripper on it. Lots of sanding later and repainting it looks ok. But I didn't try it again!
This may have been due to insufficient curing time. I have found that you must recoat within a short time, or wait a number of days to cure sufficiently before the next application.

Back