What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaning Inside of Cowling

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I have some drips of a red (preservation?) fluid that has dripped out of the fuel injection servo and got onto the bottom cowling. This happened while I was fitting the cowling. How is the best way to remove this before sealing the inside of the cowling?

On sealing the cowling. Can I do this using the West system applying a thin coat then apply the foil?

Thanks,
John

I have some drips of a red (preservation?) fluid that has dripped out of the fuel injection servo and got onto the bottom cowling. This happened while I was fitting the cowling. How is the best way to remove this before sealing the inside of the cowling?

On sealing the cowling. Can I do this using the West system applying a thin coat then apply the foil?

Thanks,
John

MEK.

Seal and finish two-part paint the inside just like the outside. The foil will stick forever.

Use K2r spot lifter. This will suck the oil out of the fiberglass so you don't run into any adhesion problems with the epoxy. I gave the inside of my cowl a coat of West Systems epoxy tinted white with pigment from Aircraft Spruce. The aluminum foil sticks well to this.
Stewart Willoughby, 6 paint is next.

Thanks for the info.

Is K2r the clothes spot remover?

MEK is OK for the inside of the cowl? If so, I have some.

Back