What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaning fittings for re-use

JKevin

Well Known Member
I am about to perform some maintenance and upgrades to my fuel system. From reading this board, as well as accident reports, I am acutely aware of the potential for thread sealant to migrate downstream and block things.

Regarding female pipe fittings, it is often emphasized that all of the old sealant [Loctite 567 in my case] be removed, as any remaining could be pushed forward by the new male fitting being inserted.

My question is just what does all mean, and if all really means all, how do you do it? I can get most of it out with little brushes, but can't get it all. I have no idea if there is an acceptable solvent to use, or if anything will dissolve this stuff.

Fittings I can replace, but one set of threads I need to clean is a Red Cube, and I don't want to replace it (or damage it with the cleaning process).

Any feedback greatly appreciated...

I have used dental picks, seal picks, and taps to clean various female threads, as well as small brushes.

With the red cube-----I would suggest you do not try to used compressed air to blow out the crud-----danger of over speeding the counter wheel. If you must use compressed air, the stuff in spray cans is much lower in pressure and volume---also put a finger over the other hole so the air path is not going over the counter wheel.

Last edited:
The Loctite technical data sheet for 567 says to use Loctite solvent or mechanical methods to remove old material.
https://datasheets.tdx.henkel.com/LOCTITE-576-en_US.pdf

Loctite solvent technical data sheet say it is methylene chloride:
https://datasheets.tdx.henkel.com/LOCTITE-SF-790-en_US.pdf

I’d try all the usual suspects before buying another solvent from Loctite. Things like isopropyl alcohol, lacquer thinner, acetone, mineral spirits, etc. (You can probably guess what’s on my shelf. :) )

Last edited:
I just try to make sure the the first 4 threads are clean. Anything else will get pushed back. I don't add sealant each time unless it flakes off. Put it back any check for leaks. We tend to add to much to begin with.

I have used dental picks, seal picks, and taps to clean various female threads, as well as small brushes.

With the red cube-----I would suggest you do not try to used compressed air to blow out the crud-----danger of over speeding the counter wheel. If you must use compressed air, the stuff in spray cans is much lower in pressure and volume---also put a finger over the other hole so the air path is not going over the counter wheel.

+1 for taps, and picks, and add brass/copper bore brushes in the firearms section. Just rotate in and pull out, don't reverse rotation.

In theory if the sealant is only applied past the second thread, it will not migrate forward and make any beads ahead of the threads. This is especially important for servicing the fuel distributor, those little beads can eventually break off and plug a nozzle.

Back