What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Circuit Breaker circuits beyond VPX?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Even though the VPX wants to do all the magic by itself, there seems to be a few simple items which are more easily powered by a buss bar and CB's. I'm trying to turn my plan to reality and so far the wiring for heated seats and USB chargers are the only two items that may be powered the old fashioned way. What other items have you folks found that are easier to wire the old way rather than the VPX way?

Not a VPX, but I ran out of room for breakers and ended up putting all my lighting circuits, capacitance fuel sensors and under-wing taxi camera on a sub-panel with blade fuses. Basically stuff that doesn't have an electronic brain so there isn't any value in being able to reboot it by cycling the breaker if it locks up.

Auxiliary Bus

I added an Aux bus to my VPX installation. Right now an always-on 15A circuit from the VPX powers a bus bar with individual fuses, and then each component from there can be wired up. Right now I have some lighting, USBs, and Bluetooth music wired up through that bus. Each item is not switched, or controlled in anyway (lighting has dimmers), but that could be easily added since its all separately wired. I have a detailed breakdown of my overall wiring scheme and this new aux bus on my blog.

Mine got so complicated with stuff powered by VP-X Sport and other stuff powered by separate DC buss and breakers, that I just decided to go with the VP-X Pro and put everything on VP-X.

Now I have a VP-X Sport that I'm trying to sell.

Aux circuits

I have the ACM. Very similar. They specifically recommend some circuits be on a separate buss. P-Mags. I routed the P-Mag circuits from a fused buss FWF to breakers on the panel. They go through the switches then back out. USB outlet, Dimmer LEDS and Defrost (cooling) fans are on the ACM.

...They specifically recommend some circuits be on a separate buss. P-Mags...

Where did you read that? Is that specific to ACM? I have dual Dynon and VP-X and didn't see anything about that.

I have P-mags wired to VP-X (per the VP-X install manual) via the special "P-Mag Switch" that Steinair sells.

P-mags

Where did you read that? Is that specific to ACM? I have dual Dynon and VP-X and didn't see anything about that.

I have P-mags wired to VP-X (per the VP-X install manual) via the special "P-Mag Switch" that Steinair sells.

Not the VPX. I have the Advanced Flight Systems/Advanced Control Module. There is no circuit for P-Mags on the ACM.
The VPX does have P-Mag circuits.
Sorry, I thought I was clear.

Back