What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT probe help

Rbb469

I had a CHT probe that wasn’t reading just —- Swapped it to another cylinder and it followed. I bought a new CHT probe from Steinair. Added some heat to the probe to ops check. It came up to 100+ degrees. Installed the prob. Turned on the avionics 45+ mins later and that probe was reading 300 degrees with a cold engine. Any ideas where I should start? Thanks in advance. Ricky

I had a CHT probe that wasn’t reading just —- Swapped it to another cylinder and it followed. I bought a new CHT probe from Steinair. Added some heat to the probe to ops check. It came up to 100+ degrees. Installed the prob. Turned on the avionics 45+ mins later and that probe was reading 300 degrees with a cold engine. Any ideas where I should start? Thanks in advance. Ricky

Did you splice in, or run new wire? Boiling water is a good probe check/known temperature . Bad ground is often the reason.

I just used the original connections from the existing wiring harness. I’ll try and troubleshoot to see if it’s possible a ground. Thanks for your advice. Ricky

Back