What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chris Sands RV-7

It is very simple...

I personally think this is underpriced..............does anyone else agree?

This appears to be a very nice RV. You rarely get out what you put in. Given that, most RV's I see are underpriced. The reality is still dictated by a buyer.
It is worth exactly what someone will pay you for it.

I Agree with bkthomps

I know it is easy to say this when you are not actually intending to lay down your own hard cash on a bid for the plane . . . but I agree with bkthomps . . ., at first glance this aircraft looks to have serious IFR capability/redundancy (understand when I say serious IFR, I mean that relative to most other RVs on the market, you still gotta stay out of ice, etc.); excellent paint job; excellent interior; and solid aerobatic platform. I hope to buy an RV of similar quality workmanship/IFR capability in the not-too-distant-future and have always expected that I would have to be prepared lay out significantly more than Chris' $129,000 . . . that said, market supply/demand will determine the final price. I hope that both Seller and Buyer are happy when a deal on this beautiful aircraft closes.

This appears to be a very nice RV. You rarely get out what you put in. Given that, most RV's I see are underpriced. The reality is still dictated by a buyer.
It is worth exactly what someone will pay you for it.

Some will it's underpriced, some will say it's overpriced. Bottom line is it really doesn't matter. What matters is that in the end there is one happy buyer and one happy seller, period. Nevertheless, my congrats to the builder for doing an exceptional job. You deserve to be rewarded for your work.

Switches

Chris,
What kind of switches are those and where did you get them? They look nice and way more modern than the typical toggles.

Might have to make a last minute change to the panel revision that I hope to have complete in 1-2 weeks...

Awesome plane -- I recommend a drool sack kept on board to keep that interior in nice shape. Gonna have lots of it! :)

Thanks,
Ryan

RV-7

For those of you that say it is underpriced, I agree, BELIEVE ME, but in todays market, the price I posted just eliminated about 98% of those looking. I am open to ALL offers, especially those looking to spend a little more than sticker!!!:):):) I also do sell the panel blanks, for those looking to "Upgrade" their panels. They run $500, I know its a lot, but its all hand layed carbon fiber cloth at $80/yd and about 6-8 hrs of labor... I am only going to make a couple more, too much work... Also, the Switches are Carling L-series, LED lit. I use them in all my projects. Right now I don't have any extras, but someone looking, I can get more... 10 minimum of the style though. $20ea on average... I have one other looking so maybe between the 2 orders, we can get enough to place an order...

Chris

RV-7

These are just a little smaller in overall size, but fit into the same hole. The AVEO switches overall face/switch is larger then the hole, and the Carlings are a little smaller than the hole with a bezel around them. They also don't stick out as far from the panel as AVEO switches, and you can write whatever you want on them, have them be 2 position or 3 position. I like to combine Taxi lights and Pulse lights into one switch, up for taxi, down for pulse... I also do this for NAV and Strobes. There are not many occasions you use strobes without Nav lights, so I combine them and have NAV down, for using in fog, taxi, anything that reflects, and NAV/STBS up for normal night operations... Some people like to use strobes for "Anti-collision, but with today's LED Nav lights, I figure if they are on with the strobes...who cares. They hardly use any amps, and they are most likely not going to burn out in my lifetime... Anyhow, I just combined 4 switches into 2... and reduced clutter on my panel, and saved $60 in two switches to buy gas!!! Best of all with the AVEO switches... I believe you have to buy groups of 10 switch covers in certain categories like "Avionics" "Engine" even if you just need one or two out of that category. Horrible marketing I think

...in custom building a panel that looks like that? And am I correct in understanding that the side panels are from Aero Classics, but are not available for the RV8? If that's the case, what would be involved in a custom build of side panels?

Hi Chris, can you please give more details on the process for the panel? Can you only make them for the -7? Also would appreciate learning more about the side panels?

Hi Chris,

I waited until the pics came out Monday, looking for more details. Once again... WOW! What a plane! Thanks so much. Now to my questions.

I was hoping to see a bit more detail on the canopy latch from Attaway Air. Specifically, how did you make the keyed lock work? I found Attaway's website and looked at this product, and the latch doesn't appear to come with a lock. I'm assuming you used one that comes with the ignition switch so it's the same key, right? A picture can say 1,000 words, if you happen to have one.

I'm also wondering about the finish on the latches inside the cabin. Is that a polish on the aluminum that we see? Did you polish them yourself? Or did you get them chromed? It sure looks nice!

Thanks again!

that said, market supply/demand will determine the final price. I hope that both Seller and Buyer are happy when a deal on this beautiful aircraft closes.

This is the absolute and final truth. By the way...that is ONE SWEET plane. I wish I could have his and he could have a nicer one!:D

Looking for handle

Hey Bruce,

The handle from Attaway Air was sold to Fairings, Etc. I recently tried to purchase one and now understand Fairings, Etc. no longer stocks them and doesn't have any immediate plans to produce more.

The handle is raw aluminum. Looks like Chris did something fancy there as well.

If you run across any of these for sale, I would sure appreciate a heads-up.

Thanks,

canopy latch source?

The handle from Attaway Air was sold to Fairings, Etc. I recently tried to purchase one and now understand Fairings, Etc. no longer stocks them and doesn't have any immediate plans to produce more.

Hmmm. Mr. Attaway pointed me to Fairings, Etc. in email just a few days ago.

Maybe this can be "open-sourced"? Anyone got a CAD drawing of this handle that would drive a water jet cutter?

Hey Bruce,

The handle is raw aluminum. Looks like Chris did something fancy there as well.

Hmmmm... sounds like a business opportunity to me. I'd be very interested if someone finds something, or takes this on.

Bob Snedaker at Fairings, Etc. owns the information and rights to these. He sounded fairly definite about not producing additional pieces. I wonder what it would take for him to part with the design/information?

Handle

Chris,

To confirm, did you get your canopy handle from Fairings, Etc. or Attaway Air? If not...where? Also, someone asked if you polished it or chromed it. Could you let us know? Looks really nice.

RV-7

They are from Attaway, I didn't buy them though. It is a fairly simple design that with a few mod's, so not to copy, could be produced in numbers. The locking tab on the keyed lock simply turns upwards into a slot cut in the bottom of the larger handle, thus making it unable to be pushed inward to open the door. I can send you a photo if you like, just email me. I would be interested in producing these myself, but I am not sure that the numbers are out there to make it cost effective...

Chris
[email protected]

Can I get you to build me one of your panels, and attach it to an RV-7 that looks just like yours?

Can I get you to build me one of your panels, and attach it to an RV-7 that looks just like yours?

Heck, maybe he'll throw the plane in free, but Sig, that panel will cost ya...

Wait for it...

$128K ;)

My wife saw me looking at your panel Chris, and said "don't even think about it!". (Did an upgrade a few years ago, and she gets nervous and hides the checkbook when I look at panel pics! :D Does the same thing when I look at Rick Gray's Rockets! ;))

Just an awesome plane Chris...you gonna take home some trophies first, or sell it and let the lucky buyer fill his or her mantel? As has been said, whoever gets this machine is gonna have a mighty big grin!!

Well done!
Cheers,
Bob

Heck, maybe he'll throw the plane in free, but Sig, that panel will cost ya...

Wait for it...

$128K ;)

My wife saw me looking at your panel Chris, and said "don't even think about it!". (Did an upgrade a few years ago, and she gets nervous and hides the checkbook when I look at panel pics! :D Does the same thing when I look at Rick Gray's Rockets! ;))

Just an awesome plane Chris...you gonna take home some trophies first, or sell it and let the lucky buyer fill his or her mantel? As has been said, whoever gets this machine is gonna have a mighty big grin!!

Well done!
Cheers,
Bob

If I had the cash, I'd shell it out for that airplane in a second! Now back to building my wings.... (sigh)

a better 7

Chris is my next door neighbor at Stellar airpark (P19). He will have much more detail Monday.

Regarding the HDR photos, trust me, the plane is much nicer in person. What you can't see is the detail of the panel. Stein did the main panel but Chris did the circuit breakers. The wiring is impeccable.

Quite some time ago we discussed making a cup holder console. He came up with this design and made a carbon fiber console then covered it in the same leather as the seats and panel.

There is so much more... Whoever gets this plane has a winner. If I wasn't into my project so deep, I'd buy it!!!!

The good news is, my new one will put this one to shame:rolleyes: I learned a lot from Chris.

I can't wat to see an RV that puts this one to shame. That will really be something. Chris' work is very impressive!

Where are the pics

Does anyone know where the pictures from this post went. Sorry, I'm new here and maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks

Back